vito 108d timing chain snapped! Please help.

OP
A

anthony evs

Reaction score
Hi Alex,

Just read over the thread, noticing post 46 by mbsc (rob) he states timing at 15 degrees after tdc, but post earlier mentioned timing to be 20 degrees before tdc.

I have set the pump to 15 deg after tdc, hope rob can confirm this later.

Also, some additional info on the tensioner.
When i tried to remove the tensioner complete, i could not budge it out of the head, so removed the end cap and releived gthe tension that way, by removing the cap and spring. As its on the bulkhead side couldnt see anything else inside the tensioner. When the head was removed, could then get a good purchase on the tensioner body and remove it from the head.

When the timing cover was removed, i noticed a small spring (about 5mm dia and 25mm long, along with a spring holding washer on the chassis, on seeing this, my heart sunk and knew it had come from the tensioner, and thats why the tensioner wasnt working, because this small spring and washer were not fitted back when i reassembled the tensioner on the workbench.
The small spring and accompanying washer must have fallen out when i was pullng the head off the block. Gutted.
I managed to find a schematic of the tensioner on the web, and this is definately the case, so at least i know why it wasnt working properly.

I have now got a new tensioner ready to go with the new chain.

Thanks for all you help guys, please just need to confirm before i fit the head tomorrow that the pump timing is 15 degrees after top dead centre no.1.

Thanks very much, and best regards,

Anthony.

paul vp uk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
dualinern04c class elegance 1997
what happened

just spent 15 mins guys reading the severn pages, and the last post seems to say you were putting the head back on tomorow,
curious did the engine run ok.
regrads paul vp Gloucester:( or:)

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Please keep us all posted, fingers crossed all will be o.k. as you deserve it after all that, and we know why the chain snapped. Hope this helps

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
time flies by, it was a year ago now and anthony has not been back since 2/11/2009, i doubt we will ever know...

OP
A

anthony evs

Reaction score
Hi gents,

sorry for not updating the thread, and yes, time really does fly.

Well, after the rebuild, new tensioner, and chain, all is well. The engine is running really sweet.

One thing tho, i decided to remove the injection pump, place it on the workbench, then spun over to identify the tooth for timing purposes. I done this as i wasnt really sure what i was looking for, and with the tight confines to the radiator, couldnt see the tooth that well, along with the oil coating the tooth, was really difficult to see, especially if you havent seen one before. Made a tool out of a bolt, basically gound a slot into the end of a 10mm bolt, and used this to lock the pump in that position for reassembly.

Refitted the inj pump, timed up the sprockets and fired no probs. Done about 8000 miles without a missed beat, really pleased.

Alot of work, all my mates, a few of them small garage owners, though i was crazy, they would have scrapped then engine off. My idea was i knew the engine was basically sound, buy 2nd hand unit, dont realy know what your getting, se went for a repair. Glad.:p

Any help or advice i can offer, please ask, i`m no expert, but have learned greatly from my experience, and would do the job again. You do get to learn how it all oges together, and of course next time will be a quicker faster fix. ( obviously hoping tho there is`nt a next time)

Thanks, and best regards, Anthony.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Well done. Nice to come back with the update as well

And a big well done to everyone who contributed help as well, I think!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
A

anthony evs

Reaction score
Yes buddy,

A very thankful member here.

A great big thanks to all those who contributed.

Cheers.:D

Top Bottom