Vito 639 fuel economy fallen off a cliff

wookiem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
639 Vito 2006. 115 CDI Metallic silver Dualiner LWB
Hello!

I've had this Vito for nearly a year. It's a 115 CDI Dualiner. It's been returning about 35-40mpg but recently it's dropped to 25-30, 32 at a push. I've not changed my driving style and I'm doing the same runs, work commute etc. I'd expect a little drop due to winter but this seems like quite a big drop ( I exagerated a bit when I said "fallen off a cliff"!) I've made sure the tyres are inflated and I've had the air filter out and blown it through with the compressor. Has anyone got any suggestions what the problem might be?

Thanks for reading

Wookiem

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Is it getting up to temperature?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Depends on your commute really. Mine is ten miles, and in the summer my temp gauge hits 90 within five miles and the car does 38mpg on the trip. In winter it hasn't reached 90 by the time I arrive, and 30mpg is the best I see. Thermostat is new, so it ain't that!

W211 320cdi, should have said ;)

OP
W

wookiem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome

Is it getting up to temperature?

Well, now you mention it that is an interesting question. I have the model with the steering wheel controlled instrument cluster. I can't for the life of me find anything about coolant temp. I've cycled the options with engine off and running but nothing.

On reflection it is probably not getting up to temp, my commute is only 6 miles but now I've got something else doing my head in; where the hell is the temp displayed!?!?!?!?

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Bit of cardboard in front of the radiator is an effective and free solution.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Well, now you mention it that is an interesting question. I have the model with the steering wheel controlled instrument cluster. I can't for the life of me find anything about coolant temp. I've cycled the options with engine off and running but nothing.

On reflection it is probably not getting up to temp, my commute is only 6 miles but now I've got something else doing my head in; where the hell is the temp displayed!?!?!?!?
On some you go to the mileage page then up and down through that menu. Should be there or thereabouts within 10-15 minutes

If not, change the thermostat and see how you get on

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Scroll to total vehicle mileage, that also shows Km/h and outside temp,
Then one page up shows coolant temp.
Generally you looking at 85 degrees for running temp, but 6 miles of low load driving in winter and you'll likely find it hasn't got up there yet.
I run at 36 / 37 psi, but I don't load it up much or often. I'm still seeing just about 40mpg on a good m'way run (but it takes me approx 20 miles to get to one). Aroun town the consumption is perhaps 30, yesterday 22 miles to Chesterfield, and then return, with heavy xmas traffic and I saw about 35mpg.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Depends on your commute really. Mine is ten miles, and in the summer my temp gauge hits 90 within five miles and the car does 38mpg on the trip. In winter it hasn't reached 90 by the time I arrive, and 30mpg is the best I see. Thermostat is new, so it ain't that!

W211 320cdi, should have said ;)
Have to Agree with Uncle Benz here exactly the same account for me. my Vito is averaging around 29-30mpg tops unloaded at this time of year and I am mostly on 10- 20 mile round trips this last 2 months. might have got 31-32 on a 100 mile round trip last month on A roads and temp usually gets to 60-65 on short journeys and 80 on that longer round trip. Just got mine remapped couple of weeks ago and that hasn't helped fuel economy;):D

OP
W

wookiem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have to Agree with Uncle Benz here exactly the same account for me. my Vito is averaging around 29-30mpg tops unloaded at this time of year and I am mostly on 10- 20 mile round trips this last 2 months. might have got 31-32 on a 100 mile round trip last month on A roads and temp usually gets to 60-65 on short journeys and 80 on that longer round trip. Just got mine remapped couple of weeks ago and that hasn't helped fuel economy;):D

Merry Christmas,
to all.

It looks like this thread has served the op's purpose so hopefully I'm not hijacking.
I'm interested to learn more of your remap.

Have you noticed any increase in smoke output?
How do you measure your consumption, is it trusting the obd readout as I bleieve they can be corrupted?
How is the pull against parking brake at standstill, traffic lights for example?

Last edited:

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi M80 Merry Christmas to you and everybody on the forum here, I am glad to pass on any info that helps. No visible or noticeable increase in smoke output but my dpf is still in play. I am just following the average MPG from the LCD readout for my info. As regards handbrake I haven't done any hill starts at junctions with hand brake since remap but not expecting any difference on that front as van would be on same power level at tickover. I sort of had to learn the gearbox again as torque is vastly improved. I find I dont have to change down and up as many gears now with remap on bendy A roads and around town. No need to rev as high either through what I find is a short 1st and second gear in the Vito. All I can say is the van is 50 percent better to drive since the remap and if ever an engine was crying out for a remap its the 136BHP Vito,s . I also got an EGR delete done with the same map. I am tempted to much to feel the torque and that is the only downside to fuel economy:D
Just to add for info purposes my map was a stage 1 with an EGR delete which pumped the BHP from 136 to 200

Reactions: M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

That's some increase.
I see there are differences in that you have a DPF and manual box.
The auto should be able to change earlier and keep higher gears longer though, and that would be a nice advantage, and in theory could return a better consumption as a result.
Having the 115 mine already revs less while cruising, at some point I cold be temepted to put a V6 diff in, but I need to learn the ease or not of the Star adaptation required to prevent the ESP disliking the new difference.

I had an earlier 115 that was remapped at new, apparently. Unlike many MB drivers I use the parking brake and the increased torque at tickover made the parking brake near unusable.

My issue with additional smoking is that all too often I get a nostril full of unburnt diesel while in traffic. V often I can attribute that to a smaller diesel up ahead that I assume has had a remap, and maybe a big sub woofer in the back and some wider pinstripe down the side.
I like the idea of an easier drive due to the extra torque but don't want to chance choking other poor road users, so I've been trying to ascertain how likely / unlikely that would be.

That's good news from you so far though.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Didn't Realize you had an auto box M80, so it could be totally different experience for you getting a remap done. Mine does have the six speed box which in fairness with the short 1st and 2nd it is well suited to both pulling with a trailer and motorway driving. I was talking on the assumption you had a manual handbrake so again I know nothing about parking brake issues. As regard smoking, I suppose if I keep an eye on my dpf regen cycles or with laptop I suppose that will let me know if theres more soot accumulating since remap. I was told to go to a Remapping company in Sheffield website by a local franchaise https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwic2czfqdPmAhWKecAKHSw8DYQQFjAAegQIGRAD&url=https://www.sltremapping.com/&usg=AOvVaw3Eiy897UXHxHzFROWjiXZs
Try their website, just punch in your reg to see power options for your vehicle

I had to wait in a que that morning for an hour as there was 5 other people probably in various parts of UK in front of me getting their maps tweeked by some guy in possibly SLT then uploaded to a franchaise or mobile installers of their own. They tweek which I take are generic maps to suit your vehicle or requirements.

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't want to confuse this, but until recently I had a Viano V6. I spent over a year trying to resolve issues. I had some much appreciated assistance from Lost Kiwi too, but in the end I had to give up on the vehicle.
Anyway my last attempt to overcome the Gremlins was a stage 1 remap at SLT where yours was carried out.
I went there as it isn't too far from me and the reviews gave me confidence. I didn't want to chance going to a wannabe hopeful. I was the only person on that day, so you would expect an appreciation of the business, his first comment was to ask why I had travelled and not had this done locally.
He also commented that the remap would be expected to create more emissions and some additional smoke. That left me deflated some.
The low end torque was little difference, so I was happy with that.
To enjoy the extra umphh I found that driving it harder made it noticable. Generally pooting about, which is my style really, there was some improvement but not massive.
As it smoked to a level I couldn't accept I didn't keep it long enough to really compare consumption, and the over fuelling meant it wouldn't be an accurate reflection anyway.

I'm now looking for pretty much the same Viano, but with the 646 engine, and no bl**dy DPF.
Meanwhile the Vito gets on with the job, and has some advantages over the Viano. I can use it as a van w/o worry, and it only costs me £155 tax p.a.
I am tempted to remap it, but worried some about the emissions.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was SLT a one man band operation? Look I didn't ask questions that morning. Remap was £160 black Friday deal, Normally £180 which suited budget. I was pointed to this website by local diagnostic guy beforehand to see what options I wanted. Dont know for sure if SLT was the map supplier or if they are a franchaise themselves for somebody bigger?. I looked up the 115 on SLT but you dont get anywhere near the power/torque difference I got offered. Prob 115 is nearer to the safety limit of tuning from the factory compared to 113. My two options offered by local guy were an eco map which featured on less fuel usage but more or less same existing power and torque ratios and other option was the full hog with the stage 1 map. Im a bit lost here, is it the 115 you have now or another Vito version? .The guy at SLT could do with some teaching of customer skills by the sound of it. I Found through the years Diagnostic/remappers are mostly the same, they all want your money but dont ask too much:rolleyes:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My Vi history started with an experimental 2007, Vito 115 ex long, bought at 294k miles, sold at 328k miles after 3 years. Not a perfect mo mo but overall a good result.
A fairly good spec and enhanced more while I had it. Mapped from new by previous taxi firm.

To upgrade to a better spec mo mo then I bought the 2009 V6 3.0 ex long Viano. Difficult to buy a better spec. 144k miles, but I now believe it was more like 300k miles.
After 11.5k miles it started with issues. A year or more later, after loads of trying this and that and spending on diagnostics, an Indie diagnosed and fitted new injectors and still not resolved I sold it on. Loads of dosh lost on that one. Overall a poor result.

In need of a working mo mo I bought the present 2006, long, 115. Difficult to get a better spec Vito but not as class as the Viano, certainly not the spec I'm looking for. It has been enhanced considerably since I've owned it.
Now at 125k miles, I believe to be geniune.
Not perfect, previously a property renters van it was / is a bit beaten. No rust. Some vibes to resolve, but gets on with it.

The Viano issues were exagerated / confused by the DPF. The 642 engine has its inherant issues. Now I favour the 646 engine, w/o DPF. I don't crave power but enjoy the advantages of it. For me economy is the greater priority, after reliability. If the thing 'aint running the rest is pointless.

I only encountered one person at SLT, I thought he was the owner by our conversation.
Now I realise yours is the 651 it's easy to understand that the power can be a lot higher. Yours being a manual you'll get more usable power as well.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
If the OP does return.....

Look,,also at something simple like a binding brake caliper. That will hit consumption pdq, and you'll hear / smell it soon

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the OP does return.....

Look,,also at something simple like a binding brake caliper. That will hit consumption pdq, and you'll hear / smell it soon

Yes had that on my rav4 runabout. Although I knew it had the issue, everytime I parked it for the summer the front calipers would seize. it doubled petrol consumption with even the slightest binding until freed. New set on it now:D

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ive had my fair set of issues with my Vito over nearly 2 years of ownership M80. From injectors and sensors to alternators boy ive been tested by Mercedes this last year. My Vito I believe is a bit like your 2009 Viano, not being genuine although my mileage was fairly accurate but thats about all was LOL. Previous owner or one before him even disabled the EML light:rolleyes: to hide things which i still cant believe I didn't notice for over a year of ownership:eek: until MOT tester mentioned after a failed test when check engine symbol in centre LCD came on in test lane. I have van perfect now but still very dismayed about level of rust on these Vitos. If That Guy at SLT is the only person there he is probably busy all the time tweeking maps for his mobile installers and whoever else he sells maps too.

Pappa583

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 Viano
Know this thread is a few years old now but wondering if anyone can comment still?
I have just had a 2013 viano remapped and can't say fuel economy has improved any... 280 miles drive and never noticed an improvement.
Also just been towing my caravan and wasn't impressed tbh. I've contacted the remap company as the torque doesn't feel anywhere near their claimed figures so wondering if the map has done much at all. Towing a pretty light caravan I would have expected the van to be almost in the same gear but I was up and down throught the gears (manual) like I was driving an old bus....
Has anyone else had their vito/viano remapped and not really noticed the difference?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom