Vito, intermittent starting problem.

Vitoalex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito w638 108cdi
Hi guys,

New to forums so not sure Im posting in the correct place. Please go easy on me.

I have a Vito W638 108cdi. 2003. I love the van. swamped it for my 57plate BMW 320d as I was homeless and needed somewhere to stay, managed to start kitting it out for a camper conversion. Anyways I am going off point.

I firstly had a huge oil leak which was coming from the ring on the oil feed pipe, the weld had given way. A mechanic friend of mine initially diagnosed it as a turbo issue so I sourced a second hand turbo, upon removing old turbo noticed the actual issue. With having minimal tools I was able to use the new oil feed pipe and with some heat resistant hydraulic pipe repair this and the van has been running A1 (apart from cold mornings she needs a little coaxing to start)

Now she has developed a new issue. She will randomly cut out while driving, and won't bump start. After pulling over she will normally restart straight away. The main issue I am having is when I go to start her after not driving for a few minutes/hours she will not turn over. No starter engagement, no glow plug light on the dash. I turn the key, all lights go out apart from battery and parking brake and then a few seconds later the oil light comes on (dipstick shows max)

Any ideas what this new issue could be?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Tbh this can only be total guess work.
'Maybe' you are loosing 12 volt power due to a loose connection.
I would be looking for a poor chassis connection around the fuse box, or possibly a looses +ve.

On the 638 it may be corrosion related.

OP
V

Vitoalex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito w638 108cdi
Tbh this can only be total guess work.
'Maybe' you are loosing 12 volt power due to a loose connection.
I would be looking for a poor chassis connection around the fuse box, or possibly a looses +ve.

On the 638 it may be corrosion related.
Thanks, I'll put her up on ramps and have a look.

In terms of corrosion she's actually in pretty decent shape

Reactions: M80
Top Bottom