Vito W639- Squeaky bounce when decelerating (in gear)

Maturin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito W693 - 2006 111 CDI
My MB Vito W639 Bus (2006) 111 CDI has developed a nasty squeak/bouncy chirping noise when I slow down in gear (below 25mph). (See video) Sounds like bouncy bed springs.
First noticed it when slowing down for a speed bump.

Took it to a (trusted) garage and the mechanic cleaned up and greased the drive shaft but the noise came back. Same noise appears to happen when reversing. (See second video) The squeaks become more sparse as I get slower. I figured it can’t be the brakes because it totally disappears when I push the clutch all the way in or when I push on the accelerator.

I’m a musician and we’re currently touring in this van. Giving me anxiety every day now!

I’m not sure but suspect it’s a clutch related issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!

jodz

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 55 109
Hiya I’m having the exact same problem don’t suppose u got to the bottom of it and could point me in right direction??

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Have you actually checked your springs?
One might have a broken end in the cup.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Spray your suspension bushes librally with a silicon lubricating spray and see if it goes away.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Definitely sounds like a drive train problem from them videos. If it were me i would check that the handbrake shoes haven't become detached from the pins that hold them in place inside the rear discs. Could also be drive shaft carrier bearings as squeak sounds to be at the same speed as rotating driveshaft

Nik Hollister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito w639 109 cdi 2006
My MB Vito W639 Bus (2006) 111 CDI has developed a nasty squeak/bouncy chirping noise when I slow down in gear (below 25mph). (See video) Sounds like bouncy bed springs.
First noticed it when slowing down for a speed bump.

Took it to a (trusted) garage and the mechanic cleaned up and greased the drive shaft but the noise came back. Same noise appears to happen when reversing. (See second video) The squeaks become more sparse as I get slower. I figured it can’t be the brakes because it totally disappears when I push the clutch all the way in or when I push on the accelerator.

I’m a musician and we’re currently touring in this van. Giving me anxiety every day now!

I’m not sure but suspect it’s a clutch related issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I had the same problem at first i ignored it hoping it would go away bit of a mistake!
It was one of the universal joints on the prop shaft.
Mercedes said I was a non serviceable part and, I needed a new prop shaft! Book price £1000+
Turns out you can buy a universal joint, You just need to find a mechanic who knows his stuff to fit it.
lucky I have a good friend who knows his stuff He only charged £100 to fit it. The part was £30
I'm not an expert but If I had the time I would have attempted it myself.

D5meister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2014 2.2D 7Auto
Cud be universal joint on prop shaft (dry needle rollers)or support bearing

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom