W/s auto switch not working.!!

Besstus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi auto w203 coupe, 2004
Hi all, I dont think that my w/s auto switch is working, Mine is a w202 220 cdi on a 2000 plate, Should a light come on - on the dash? Any other way to check if its working? Many thanks in advance Richard.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
W is a 2nd gear start and S a 1st gear start, there is no lamp for this.

You could start off in W and at about 10 mph floor the throttle to see if it kicks down to a lower gear, if it does the W is working. Then do the same in S where it cannot kick down.

Another way would be to find a steep hill,in W the car cannot roll back, in S it will or can.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
No light is displayed.
I don't know whether this will apply to your car, but I find that if I place my car in drive whilst stationary and switch between W and S I can feel a slight nudge as the gearbox switches between the gears.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i had this problem on my e class. theres a plunger inside the switch that was stuck on mine. the plunger was stuck down meaning wherever i set the switch to, it was permanently in W. i took the switch apart and cleaned the plunger and its been fine since!
ive never felt the nudge when switching between w and s in mine. not that i switch it that often, but ive never felt it!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
i had this problem on my e class. theres a plunger inside the switch that was stuck on mine. the plunger was stuck down meaning wherever i set the switch to, it was permanently in W. i took the switch apart and cleaned the plunger and its been fine since!
ive never felt the nudge when switching between w and s in mine. not that i switch it that often, but ive never felt it!

Yes we have had a few of those on a 210, I cant recall this on a 202, but i do not see why it could not happen

OP
B

Besstus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi auto w203 coupe, 2004
W/s auto switch works.!! (simple way to check)

HI GUYS, Thanks for all your input on this one, Was not sure if W/S auto switch was working on my w202, no mode light on dash while flicking the switch (now know there isnt one) a bit missleading as other autos i have owned in the past do have this, also no change in the engine revs while in or out of gear. So i found a quiet straight road (might not be easy if you live in some parts of london) selected W (winter mode) and pulled away VERY SLOWLY (which should be second gear) then gave it some throttle and it should change down to first gear, which mine did.! (If your car does this in S mode it could be stuck in W mode) In S (standard mode) car should pull away in first gear and obviously not be able to change down but only up. Hope this helps and many thanks to all your replies,Regards Richard.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom