w123 fresh air vent closed or blocked

TotallyImpractical

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 230E w123
My Benz does not air-con so my question is about the fresh air vents on the dash and how to get them working properly.

The center switch beneath the air vents does nothing although, I assume, it should open or close them. It just slides back and forth with no effect.

The vents only allow fresh air into the cabin if the blower is turned on. Is this normal and if not, how can I get them to let in a constant stream of fresh air without turning on the blower?

Thanks!

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
On my W124 the blower has to be on. When the blower is off the vents are all closed to stop external air coming into the car. If you turn the fan to off you should be able to hear the flaps closing to block the vents. The lowest fan speed should be virtually inaudible but in this position the vents should open and work normally. The centre vent should then let in external fresh air, which you can control with the little thumb wheel under or between the centre vents.

Last edited:

stever

Reaction score

Sorry that's wrong - vacuum is only used on W123 ventilation if it has air con.

Fresh air should come through the centre vents when on the move regardless of fan speed, unless you've got the slider to the closed position. If the slider's not doing anything then then it probably has become detached from the flap mechanism

OP
TotallyImpractical

TotallyImpractical

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 230E w123
That's what I thought....that I should at least be getting fresh air if the slider is open even without the fan being on.

I'm fairly handy....can I fix this myself?

stever

Reaction score
I don't know as I've never had this problem. Hopefully it doesn't mean taking the dash out!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom