W124 1995 M Reg Estate E300D fuel tank leak

webfish

Reaction score
W124 1995 M Reg Estate E300D fuel tank leak

My tank leaks, when car is nearly full, and I would really like to know please

1. how easy to remove tank
2. will a tank from a previous model fit, e.g G Reg

Appreciate everyones help and assistance in advance.

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
I'm afraid I don't know the answers to your questions, but depending on where the leak is they can often be repaired. Look for a local firm that re-cores/repairs radiators. They will often repair them. I had one done for a BMW. cost about £50

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is no info on taking it out other than the neck bit, have you looked to see where the leak is

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
Leak

Hard to see, looks like above seam, as only leaks when over half way, but due to location of tank, i cannot see high enough up the tank to see the leak, it is towards the front of the car.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
These tanks tend to leak around the filler necks whee they join the tank, but possibly it could be leaking from somewhere else.
To remove: remove the rear exhaust box, then you will see a metal 'bar' holding the tank up, there are 2 clamps mid wa along it, un-do these, i think 13mm or 17mm and prise them off and out of the way (obvious when you look at it) you can now remove this bar by tapping each end out of itsholder with a hammer.
Moving towards the frnt side of the tank there are 2 clamps at the top holding it to the bottom of the car, a long extention to remove them, then thats basically it. You will need to use a flatblade screw driver to remove the seal around the top of the filler neck, seen by opening the tank flap, and then open the boot and the side compartment and I think there is another seal visable there and a small rubber hose to remove. The its a case of wiggling the tank out, I think there are a couple of things on the passenger side front edge of it you need to manover it past, but thats it. Oh yea, you will need to unplug the tank sender as it drops and remove (clamp off) the fuel lines, they are on the back and easy.
Tanks from earlier diesels will fi, but I think ptrols have an extra outlet.

balge59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 190E 2.0 Automatic
Hi
as above, pic may help. My 230TE was leaking on the filler neck (low down), got an exchange one - lost the supplier details unfortunately. Biggest problem was getting a courier to return the old tank iirc...

My 300TD must have been replaced with a 'petrol' type tank, it has three fuel line stubs (one blanked off )

Tank is quite heavy, even empty, be ready for a bit of struggle with it.

cheers

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 80
OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
Cheers you are the 3 pointed star, it is not the neck, i had this before, seems high up at the back, i remember hitting a hidden high pavement on Tesco forres, so maybe that did it across the seam, I had been told to fit a petrol tank and block the hose not needed. but i have no idea of that would work, but brill advice on removing, many thanks indeed.

balge59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 190E 2.0 Automatic
Like I say my TD has a three spigot tank, presumably a replacement from a TE, the unused one is blanked with a hose plug, no problems

If its higher up could be the vent pipe connection?

cheers

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
if the car isnt a concours example etc, then fixing it with some of that "metal putty" stuff, would work i suspect

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom