W124 2.0l KE Jetronic aux air valve

kdavies3

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here so please be gentle with me.:D
I am working on a friends 190 2.0l manual with KE Jetronic.
The symptoms are that the car will start and idle but at low speed.
The engine will not rev without spluttering and coughing, as soon as the engine warms up it seems fine.
I've checked the auxiliary air valve and found that it is closed all the time cold or hot. I can move the blade with a screw driver and I've cleaned it, I get very little resistance across the electric terminals on the valve and also if I apply 12v across it nothing moves surely it should open?
I'm suspecting the the valve is knackered, can anyone point me in the direction of a new or replacement one, also can anyone confirm my diagnosis?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
Kev, South Wales.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum:D

The resistance of the aux air valve is 40Ω.

You have the thermo time switch terminal G and W =93Ω below 15c G and earth 93Ω.

Do not forget the cold start valve

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
It may be ok, the valve closes when warm and only opens when its quite cold. It serves to raise the tickover speed on cold starting.

However here's my bit about it:-

I have not dealt with a merc aux air valve but in the past I have dealt with similar types on vauhall and vw units (LE jetronic), both had sticky deposits inside the valve which did not allow it to open when cold with the same symptoms you describe.

The valve has a steel plate which passes over an orifice to cut of aux air when the engine is warm, the plate rotates about a pivot and is controlled by a bi metalic strip which is heated both by an electrical heater wound around the bimetalic strip and conduction of engine heat from the mounting bracket. In service the innards get a coating of goo/varnish which limits the valves ability to work correctly.

I have succesuly opened and cleaned these valves to restore normal function by cutting (carefully fileing) back the rolled over egde of the larger diameter flange so that the case can be split into it's two die cast halves, the plate can then be removed for cleaning making sure that on reassembly the plate engages the bimetalic strip.
Reassemble the valve with an epoxy adhesive to hold the end cover in place.

Last edited:
OP
K

kdavies3

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm and thanks for the welcome. :)

Can you tell me where the thermo time switch is?
Is it the sensor at the front of the head with 3 terminals one of which operates the temp gauge? If so are the other 2 terminals the thermo time switch?

cheers
Kev.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just behind the thermostat on the top of the block

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It may be ok, the valve closes when warm and only opens when its quite cold. It serves to raise the tickover speed on cold starting.

However here's my bit about it:-

I have not dealt with a merc aux air valve but in the past I have dealt with similar types on vauhall and vw units (LE jetronic), both had sticky deposits inside the valve which did not allow it to open when cold with the same symptoms you describe.

The valve has a steel plate which passes over an orifice to cut of aux air when the engine is warm, the plate rotates about a pivot and is controlled by a bi metalic strip which is heated both by an electrical heater wound around the bimetalic strip and conduction of engine heat from the mounting bracket. In service the innards get a coating of goo/varnish which limits the valves ability to work correctly.

I have succesuly opened and cleaned these valves to restore normal function by cutting (carefully fileing) back the rolled over egde of the larger diameter flange so that the case can be split into it's two die cast halves, the plate can then be removed for cleaning making sure that on reassembly the plate engages the bimetalic strip.
Reassemble the valve with an epoxy adhesive to hold the end cover in place.

Thank you for that description of how it works

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
don't think this one has thermotime switch. the aux air valve is permanent live and the cold start jet is via the ecu. from memory.

OP
K

kdavies3

Reaction score
Thanks all,
I have stripped the Aux air valve as per Wireman's instructions (thanks for that).
Unfotunately whilst the mechanism is not stuck it appears that the bi-metal strip is defunct, even though it gives a resistance of 42 ohms.
As for the Thermo time switch I get open circuit between the terminals and from each terminal to earth.
That said does that not only provide a feed to the cold start valve during cranking?
As I said the car starts fine just doesn't want to rev until its warmed up.
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a replacement aux air device?

cheers all. :D
Kev.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Should be some around at breakers

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>just doesn't want to rev until its warmed up.

Where does the KE jetronic gets its power supply from on 190s?

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
I was thinking more along the lines of the possibility of OVP problems.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was thinking more along the lines of the possibility of OVP problems.

The engine ECU were not protected until around 1992 / 3 and on.

Yes the OVP relay can affect the later cars on idle,,dont think is was ever on the 201

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>dont think is was ever on the 201

I haven't worked on many 190s, but, I have replaced one OVP which was showing similar symptoms plus the usual ABS light on. So, some 190s definitely had OVPs.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
your three pin device is a combined temp sensor for the gague, and fan switch for the cooling fan. if you short the two terminals to each other with ign on you will hear the clutch 'clunk'.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the ke-jetronic is supplied by an ovp on every model of every year. just very difficult to find on a 190! (right against the bulkhead to the o/s of the battery)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom