w124 230 throttle linkage query

Sacco

Reaction score
Hi all, all the best for 2009 etc. Due off the germany in the 230TE again later in the month and finally got around to replacing the stiff accelerator cable. However, I already noticed whilst looking at the old cable in situ, to the throttle body end that a spring was missing from the bottom of the guide lever, and that in the rest position the guide lever wasnt quite touching the idle microswitch- yet the car ran fine......
so on installing the new cable I have also got hold of a spring for the guide lever, but, for adjusting the new cable haynes seems to make reference to a 'connecting lever' that 'is a flat adjustable lever that joins the guide lever to the throttle lever' but I cant see this lever on the assembly- haynes notes it is connected to the guide lever by a ball socket joint-? the only connection between the guide lever and the throttle lever on my car is the roller and L shaped cut out on the guide lever:-
So is haynes making reference to a set up not found on the 230 (fuel injected) or is my car missing components, or some misunderstanding on my part? Apologies for the long and difficult to understand post- I'm a bit stuck:confused:

meanie

Reaction score
It sounds to me that Haynes are referring to the kickdown adjusting link.
Maybe TV could post up the link for the linkage on the manifold,cos I don't know how!

OP
S

Sacco

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for getting back, funnily enough I have found the related bit looking at a reply you gave to a similar post today. The first diagram is the one. As far as I can tell the only bit I dont have is the spring (will get one today) do you know if there are any other bits beside those shown in the top diagram that should fit onto the guide lever or throttle lever (26 and 14 respectively) .........

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...+++717.413&CT=M&cat=504&SID=07&SGR=135&SGN=06

If thats the assembly as a whole then I'm not missing any other bits :D. All I have left to do is to adjust the linkage so everything works together as it should:confused: ......
Its a bit strange as at present when you press the accelerator there is a bit of movement whilst the guide lever (26) moves off the microswitch (41) and engages fully with the roller on the throttle lever (14)- so the initial movement of the accelerator does not actuate the throttle lever and hence does not raise engine speed- further foot pressure brings in the throttle lever and the car behaves normally. Is there some way to adjust this as with the old(stiff) accelerator cable this did not happen:confused:

OP
S

Sacco

Reaction score
also, the guide lever(26) has, in the pics and on my car has small holes in it to suggest attachment points for other components:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I feel sure that there were 2 springs on some of these cars,one to return the throttle cable and the other to close the throttle itself, can you add one to take out the play, using the spare holes in 26

Smudge

Reaction score
also, the guide lever(26) has, in the pics and on my car has small holes in it to suggest attachment points for other components:confused:

Extra holes may be for cruise control ,when fitted.

OP
S

Sacco

Reaction score
Many thanks for your replies, its great to tap into all your experience, cheers chaps:D

meanie

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for getting back, funnily enough I have found the related bit looking at a reply you gave to a similar post today. The first diagram is the one. As far as I can tell the only bit I dont have is the spring (will get one today) do you know if there are any other bits beside those shown in the top diagram that should fit onto the guide lever or throttle lever (26 and 14 respectively) .........

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...+++717.413&CT=M&cat=504&SID=07&SGR=135&SGN=06

If thats the assembly as a whole then I'm not missing any other bits :D. All I have left to do is to adjust the linkage so everything works together as it should:confused: ......
Its a bit strange as at present when you press the accelerator there is a bit of movement whilst the guide lever (26) moves off the microswitch (41) and engages fully with the roller on the throttle lever (14)- so the initial movement of the accelerator does not actuate the throttle lever and hence does not raise engine speed- further foot pressure brings in the throttle lever and the car behaves normally. Is there some way to adjust this as with the old(stiff) accelerator cable this did not happen:confused:

That free play is normal.It's there to stop throttle 'shunt' at low revs as the engine reacts on the mounts to the torque loads.

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
There is a further spring which locates underneath the throttle body, and to the side of the operating lever.

Mine was missing and my dealer identified the remains and its part number.

I'll post the part number and its location when I get5 home.

Tony

Uncle tony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230e 1989
Hey hiya tony...im uncle tony from nth Queensland...i was reading that post about the hidden return spring on the side of the throttle body...hey my 230e that i just purchased is suffering the same issue..the main spring is present and is good...all the little fulcrum joints are good..only but for since i got it i seem to have to kinda tap the pedal to assist it dropping revs when i pull up..so i started digging around and i think i found a little tab at the bottom of this particular linkage an i ****** reckon it needs another kind of return spring there..??..so i dont know if im mental or not so i decided to throw another spring abort the same weight as the main spring there doubling up that return..it helped but not enough's.. so me bein a typical improvisation aussie bush mechanic fashioned a return from that little link with the missing spring and brought it upwards towards the base of the air cleaner then guesstemated the position of a hole i was to drill into the base of the air clear being sure it was outside the element..then fasioned a screw to the top of new spring and fixed it to a/c base..then fixed the other end of new spring to the top of that missing spring linkage,,so it now returns to its stop or off postion where it should,,all i have to do now is tension that new spring once a/c base is fitted with 2 8m spanners until my tension is optimum...now i realized by now your probably sitting there scracthin your bonce thinkin is this bloke for real...well no joke it works sweet like new infact this baby 230e only has 169k on it...however,, my question is...1,,, this second spring i speak of really does exist dont it?...2 ,,, if indeed it is missing this spring..well please mate can you tell me where the heck it's suppose to mount on that inside under every ****** thing area?...phew,,,that was a mouthful..i lovin my w124 i have no mb dealers for apprx 200klms,,if you can help i be very gratefull....thanks uncle tony from ravenshoe 4888 Australia...
Hey also while i have your brain helpin me...because this 124 has japan plates and german /english plates does it mean its inferior somehow or?..

Attachments

• 20190802_152325.jpg
    20190802_152325.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 4

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

He’s not been on the forum since Oct 2016...

Uncle tony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230e 1989
Hey hello...i think im msging dreamer no2..gday bloke..im thinking you read my post but i cant read it ..maybe theres no msg body...anyhow mr dreamer if you have read my post can you tell me where or if theres a second spring an where the heck can it clip into??,.my improvised spring return is kinda working but i need more tension on it..hehehe..hey thanks big fella...cheers tony from ravenshoe 4880 far north Queensland..i put up a pic of that small linkage and you can see a little tab to take a spring,

Attachments

• 20190811_112921.jpg
    20190811_112921.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 7

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
This is the throttle lay out .Is yours the same ? You should have another larger spring on the foot peddle box in the foot well check that spring also. You can see this on youtube --put this in search box on you tube == W124-1 Replace My KE-JET Accelerator Cable - rh Drive L/h drive is the same but you might need to remove a few things Dont bother about the white markings om picture it was for another project . img45a8787859eea.jpg

Uncle tony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230e 1989
This is the throttle lay out .Is yours the same ? You should have another larger spring on the foot peddle box in the foot well check that spring also. You can see this on youtube --put this in search box on you tube == W124-1 Replace My KE-JET Accelerator Cable - rh Drive L/h drive is the same but you might need to remove a few things Dont bother about the white markings om picture it was for another project . View attachment 52005
Yep the same...okydoky i shall do that u tube thing..thnx,,ps i cant believe how much of a difference my spring substitute works it starts on one hit now an throttles off when i do..much better i will look at that you tube so i can find out how to get that second spring on to its fixing point. I guess near the intake manifold somewhere, hey thanks bloke...i let ya know how i go...

Uncle tony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230e 1989
Uncle Tony come on back fella .
Hey hiya dreamer...i think my spring setup works...its starts easy an runs great an throttles off when it should....so now all i need to do is find a new spring an figure out where it mounts under there,,somewhere near the intake manifold i reckon...will let u know how i go...

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Tony no need for extra springs thats if every thing is like the picture . Take the cable off the car and check the operation for binding .Grease it up and replace it .Did you look on the pedal box, to see if the spring is on there .If that spring is missing its relying on the extra spring that your about to fit in there .Also check bolts holding the pedal box to the body- in the foot well these have been known to come loose .

Uncle tony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230e 1989
This is the throttle lay out .Is yours the same ? You should have another larger spring on the foot peddle box in the foot well check that spring also. You can see this on youtube --put this in search box on you tube == W124-1 Replace My KE-JET Accelerator Cable - rh Drive L/h drive is the same but you might need to remove a few things Dont bother about the white markings om picture it was for another project . View attachment 52005
The pic looks same,,,however at the point where the throttle cable is fitted to arm at firewall end mine has a little lever which is attached to the 2nd little arm at front which actuates the throttle body butterfly it seems i have a non returning arm because a little spring is missing from the lever heading back under towards the inlet manifold somewhere?...the car is driving good now it starts first hit shuts down clean and drops revs when i take foot off pedal...now that you tube video you recommended is brilliant i love the simple pace it moves ,,so my spring under the dash for the pedal is present and in good condition,,so for some reason this 2nd spring which is basically at 90° from the main outer spring is missing...the dodgy brothers spring return i made has solved it but i really would like to find anything about that little spring on the rear throttle lever its like a L shape,,i dunno but since i put a pull up return spring mounted to base of air cleaner whichs drops down vertically to that L shape lever picks that arm up as soon as main throttle link and cable go to rest,,,i sorry about all the long explanations,,,thankyou

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom