W124 230e What's This Rattling Noise??

busters the boy!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230e
Hello chaps
Car has suddenly started to make this fierce racket on start-up. Only when cold. Was serviced last week and before that was running a bit lumpy due to fritzed distributor cap. That and spark plugs and leads replaced at service last week. Sounded normal after service, but about 4 days later starts like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GyfibSNuSU&feature=youtu.be

Oil pressure at 3 and no other issues I'm aware of. I'm worried in case it's either the timing chain (don't know what that sounds like) or the same as this guy - who needed a new engine. eek. Is it the same noise? I can't tell for panicking.

http://youtu.be/Mfpyqq9CQ7c

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Check oil level first.

The timing chain tensioner uses a blend of oil pressure and spring load to keep the chain
from thrashing around at start up.

There is a one way oil valve in the block that should keep the oil within the tensioner.

balge59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 190E 2.0 Automatic
Don't think you would still have full oil pressure if a big-end was gone?

Could try to localise the noise with a 'stethoscope' - long screwdriver or some-such.
Seem to recall you can see the timing chain via the oil cap, enough to try lifting it off the sprocket to check slackness?

Other thing that springs to mind, my 230TE shed one of it's heat-shields, which got trapped and made a real racket against the engine...

OP
busters the boy!

busters the boy!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230e
Thanks both.

Oil level is fine.

Will check what you suggested balge59.

Also saw this comment left on another YouTube video of a noisy W124:

Try replacing the accessory belt tensioner damper strut, it worked for me. It connects from the belt tensioner to the thermostat housing and when it fails it sends vibrations to the thermostat housing causing that chattering sound. Next time you cold start, carefully hold the top end of the damper where it connects to the thermostat, you'll find the noise goes away :)

Hope it's something that simple, this car hasn't been anywhere near as trouble-free as my old 230e.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Could be the polyV belt tensioner as mentioned. Or the timing chain tensioner or perhaps one of the timing chain guides has broken. HAS THE CAR GOT THE SINGLE OR DUPLEX TIMING CHAIN- you can check this by feel through the cam cover oil fill cap [ with the engine off obviously. Other thing might be a faulty /blocked hydraulic tappet. Has your garage used the right oil. An engine of that vintage won't take to a new thin synthetic- may flow out of the tappets more easily.

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 W123 230E & 1991 W124 200E & 1999 W210 E240
Could be the polyV belt tensioner as mentioned. Or the timing chain tensioner or perhaps one of the timing chain guides has broken. HAS THE CAR GOT THE SINGLE OR DUPLEX TIMING CHAIN- you can check this by feel through the cam cover oil fill cap [ with the engine off obviously. Other thing might be a faulty /blocked hydraulic tappet. Has your garage used the right oil. An engine of that vintage won't take to a new thin synthetic- may flow out of the tappets more easily.

An '89 M102 should have a duplex chain. My '88 W124 230E had a duplex chain.

OP
busters the boy!

busters the boy!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230e
Thanks both, only just seen these posts. Tbh, the poor old car has taken a back seat in the last couple of days due to chaos of xmas preparations. Back on the case tomorrow.

Grober, it's had synthetic oil in it since I've owned it. Merparts serviced it when I bought it and put Fuchs synthetic oil in and my local garage have just put some synth oil in it, but I don't know what brand they use (doubt it would be Fuchs though).

So it does sound like a timing chain then? eek!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom