W124 230TE misfire

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W212 E class 220cdi, R171 200 SLK
Hi All, just started my '92 W124 up after standing for a month, battery flat, jumpstart OK. After driving long enough to warm it up, the engine started misfiring on the idle and threatening to stall but just recovering and keeping going. Also misfiring and struggling to get going from stationary. Runs at 80 OK round the by-pass but misfiring slightly on acceleration at speed.

I fitted new HT leads about 18 months ago so it may not be that. I don't know how old the distributor cap or spark plugs are. The car has done about 90,000 miles. Once upon a time I would have cleaned the carburettor then changed the spark plugs but this is fuel injection, and modern plugs are ruddy expensive. Where do I start?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How did you jump start it Frank,,and what with

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
check the Voltage protection fuse but its more likely to be the distributor cap, check the king lead pole for tracking.

OP
F

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I jumpstarted it after about 3 minutes connection to my W210 diesel with it's engine running.

I've just tried it again and now it's cooled down it idles much more smoothly, until it warms up then it misfires again. So that means it is electrical anyway.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Distributor cap & rotor arm

If that doesn't do it, Alan Robertson in Hove is your man: behind the Tin Drum on 2nd Avenue

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
is the abs light suddenly on as well? if yes, ovp relay fuse, if no dist cap/rotor arm. as above really.

OP
F

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I phoned Eurocarparts in Hove on Friday and asked for a distrib, rotor arm and 4 spark plugs as I had been told they deliver. They don't deliv to private addresses but I have a shop in Hove. I ordered at 11am and the order arrived at 1pm! The price was equally good at 33 quid. Fantastic! I shall use them again.

I hope to get the parts fitted in the next day or so.

OP
F

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Fitted the distributor cap and rotor arm today - problem solved. The car runs smoothly at all speeds and all temperatures. I didn't have much time so I'll fit the new plugs later.

Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom