W124 300TD Glowplug query

Donald 300TD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300TD
First of all just a quick hello,i was on here ages ago but forgot my log on details :confused:

You guys helped me out loads in the past and i would like to pick your brains once more

I have a W124 K reg 300TD,i need to replace a couple of glowplugs,I tested them and found that number 1 and 4 need replacing,i will eventually do all 6 but as its pouring outside i just want to do the two that need done.

Anyhoo does anyone know the order of the glowplugs,is it as simple as the one nearest the bumper is number 1?

Haynes manual was no use and i've searched on here

Thanks

Donald

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>is it as simple as the one nearest the bumper is number 1?

Yes.

It's worth a look on the technical pages of the Beru website to get some really good hints and tips of removing stubborn glow plugs.

simon_wall69

Reaction score
I just want to wish you good luck: they can be a trifle taxing to remove. There are various threads on here about how to get them out as they are often stuck and snap easily.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i smeared mine with copperslip when i refitted them (not on the glowing part obviously) and i had no problems removing them the following time

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
If you are saying No1 nearest the bumper, and No4 glow plugs are not working they are the easy ones to remove, I always make sure the engine is warm when removing and use a 1/4 drive, make sure you do not cross thread when replacing, if you have not got a torque drive, don't over tighten. Hope this helps

OP
D

Donald 300TD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300TD
Thanks for the advice guys.

Soaked the plugs in WD40 and left for an hour,the plugs came out no problem at all,just a pain trying to get the socket in and two scraped knuckles but job complete car drives and pulls well,thanks again :)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom