W124 320ce Engine operating Temp - What is normal?

668hrn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320ce past w124 300d and 280e
Hello all, I am a new member and have recently acquired a 1994 320ce and I am in the process of checking it out. I would appreciate some advice on engine operating temperatures and cooling.

How stable should the temperature gauge be? On mine there seems to be some variation. It heats up very quickly and runs at midway between the 80c and the next mark up. This falls to the 80c mark running down hill and climbs to the un-labelled mark on climbing hills. The temperature of my former 280e was more stable. Should I be concerned?

I have noticed that after the car has been for a run and has rested for some hours that the nearside electric fan runs on restarting. After an overnight stop this fan does not come on when first starting. What is the correct operation and purpose of these electric fans?

I’ve had a good browse of your forums. It has been very helpful, thanks to you all.

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
engine temp

Hi ,it all sounds about right to me the rise in temp when working harder etc, one of the fans will work in conjunction with the air con ( if you have it) and will run when called for by that,the colder you set the a/c will also make the engine temp go up slightly as the condensor in front of the rad will be warmer! all this is normal! keep watching the gauge as you drive and use the systems to feel how it all works! ,all the best Rap.

OP

668hrn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320ce past w124 300d and 280e
Rap- Thanks I feel better now!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Relax and welcome 668hrn as rapide it sounds OK

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom