W124 4-pot brake options?

maxypriest

Reaction score
All,

I am starting a fast road W124 project and wish to upgrade the front brakes.
:)
I believe the E320 ones have 4-pots and work well, however I’m having no luck getting a pair.

What other options are there for the W124?

Regards,

Max

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
All,

I believe the E320 ones have 4-pots and work well, however I’m having no luck getting a pair.

Regards,

Max

I think some of the 129 models had 4 pots

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All,

Regards,

Max

There was a good thread running on this last week for a 124,,you should find it easy enough

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
I would have thought any of the MB breakers like Rob Parker would have plenty of brake calipers kicking around from w124s that have been broken due to rust etc? I wouldn't have thought they'd be that popular/expensive as they're generally trouble free (so not much call for used examples) and being cast iron they're 'kin heavy i.e. while more work an ally caliper off something else would be a better upgrade

Fairly indepth list of what came on what here but being American doesn't cover the smaller 4 cyl petrols which use a sliding caliper with a single 54mm dia piston... http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/124_brakes.pdf

Probably already aware of this and thinking about fade resistance/pedal feel etc but on the off chance note that '4 pot calipers' don't magically produce more clamping force/power than a 2 pot or single sliding caliper. The bit that determines clamping force is the total area of the pistons on ONE side of the caliper (as the other side is opposing it, Newtons 3rd law). More piston area (everything else staying the same) = more force at the expense of a longer brake pedal.

Two smaller pistons allows more even pressure to be applied to a longer brake pad. Note that more friction area does NOT increase braking force*, they take longer to wear out and have better fade characteristics. A longer, narrower pad can increase the torque radius (effective disc dia) but is less effective at transfering heat into the disc & can increase taper wear of pads as the leading and trailing edges run at different temps- this is why the piston sizes are different in many multi piston calipers.

* the hydraulic line pressure remains the same so the clamping force is spread over a larger area

Waft

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E220 Sportline Coupe

Rob Parker currently has no stock on 4 pot front calipers for the 124 mate.

I'm on a mission for just an offside one,as I scored one off ebay last night for £45 :D

Even ebay.de doesn't have them at any less than 90 eur each.Mind you,that's fine for some with a reliable income unlike my type of work.

I'll be glued to this thread now though.
Right up my alley,this

Steve:D

OP
M

maxypriest

Reaction score
Rob Parker currently has no stock on 4 pot front calipers for the 124 mate.

I'm on a mission for just an offside one,as I scored one off ebay last night for £45 :D

Even ebay.de doesn't have them at any less than 90 eur each.Mind you,that's fine for some with a reliable income unlike my type of work.

I'll be glued to this thread now though.
Right up my alley,this

Steve:D
I saw that calliper a week ago, was tempted then!

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
All,

Regards,

Max

This is an interesting idea, will you use the saloon or the coupe as the basis for the project. The 300e saloon has considerably less weight to haul around than say the 320ce but a 300-24v saloon might be the lightest starting point.
Plus the early 104 engine can be turned into a 3.2 whilst retaining ke-jet as a fuel system.

OP
M

maxypriest

Reaction score
This is an interesting idea, will you use the saloon or the coupe as the basis for the project. The 300e saloon has considerably less weight to haul around than say the 320ce but a 300-24v saloon might be the lightest starting point.
Plus the early 104 engine can be turned into a 3.2 whilst retaining ke-jet as a fuel system.

i'm using a E300D saloon as the basis for the project, turing it to a manual and installing a souped up OM606 diesel. I have most of the difficult parts, but dont hold your breath - its going to be a LONG project as there is so much to do...

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
Blimey, i would have thought brake calipers would be one of those items that end up sitting on the shelf for ever.

I still don't get why anyone would want to upgrade to them on a road car... they WON'T stop faster since that's a function of tyre grip/ABS cutting in and while brake heat goes up in proportion to weight and with the square of speed something is very wrong if fade becomes an issue on public roads unless you live in the alps

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
i'm using a E300D saloon as the basis for the project, turing it to a manual and installing a souped up OM606 diesel. I have most of the difficult parts, but dont hold your breath - its going to be a LONG project as there is so much to do...

there are a few threads on the http://www.gwoa.co.uk/ website on this using the turbo charged om606 engine from the early w210. I believe this motor can be made to fit a w124 but with difficulty because of clearance issues. I think I would still go the petrol route though, lightening the vehicle can be as efficient as spending lots on tuning equipment.

OP
M

maxypriest

Reaction score
there are a few threads on the http://www.gwoa.co.uk/ website on this using the turbo charged om606 engine from the early w210. I believe this motor can be made to fit a w124 but with difficulty because of clearance issues. I think I would still go the petrol route though, lightening the vehicle can be as efficient as spending lots on tuning equipment.

I understand where you are coming from, however I love MB OM606 diesel engines. You are right about the clearance issues – this is something I’m working on, I have altered the steering pump hoses and am currently modifying the engine mounts. On RHD cars the steering box is in the way, however I’m going to give it a go…

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom