W124 - Auto Gearbox Problem.

Mad Professor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
230TE/1988/2.3
Good Day All.

I am looking for some advice regarding problems with my 1988 W124 Auto Gearbox.

Over the last month now and then the gearbox felt like it did just not want to change gear and would surge almost like it was in two gears or like you was putting the brake on and letting it off again.

The car has been sat still for the last two weeks, upto the last few days.

But the problem now seems worse, all the gear change points seemed to have moved the gear changes are now very harsh, and the engine rev's higher then before, so I am not sure if I am getting top gear.

The gearbox surge is also worse.

I have looked at the autobox dip stick, there are two marks on the dip stick, I am guessing this is for the oil level when hot, if so the oil level is on the top mark when the engine and gearbox have been driven for around 30mins.

The gearbox oil that was wiped of the dip stick is a pinky with a slight hint of brown.

I have own this car for just over a year now, I don't know when the last gearbox oil service was carried out so I am hoping it's down to just needing an oil service.

I have phoned my local merc dealer and have been told if I drain the gearbox and the torque converter I am going to be needing around 9l of oil, and I was quote £12.50 per/l, so thats £112.50 of oil, and I am not sure if that was inc or ex vat.

So can I use any other brands of ATF Oil or do I have to use merc only ATF Oil.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
If its a five speed its the MB stuff only. For a four speed Dextron 2.

Do change the filter and check the vac pipe is connected and that the rubber bits that connect the vac pipe at each end are intact. On a petrol it starts at the inlet manifold on a diesel it starts on the side of the fuel pump govenor.

Also check the cable from the throttle to gearbox has just the smallest bit of slack with a closed throttle.

Follow the correct proceedure and good luck.

OP
M

Mad Professor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
230TE/1988/2.3
Silly question how do I tell if it's a five speed or a four speed, the gear selector only has 2nd, 3rd, and Drive, so I guess it's a four speed box.

I will be changing the filter at the same time as doing the oil change.

I did not know the gearbox had any vac pipes so I will look at them wile I am doing the oil change.

Thanks for your time.

simon_wall69

Reaction score
I had these symptoms on mine; one of the vacuum pipes had come out of a 'T' junction (don't know the correct name.) I popped it back on and problem fixed. I had knocked mine out when I was doing some bodge on something else.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom