W124 Battery drain

w124260e

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just bought a 1992 W124 260E saloon and after a few days ownership have noticed a drain of almost 2 amps coming from the battery with ignition off, also the electric windows still work with all doors shut and ignition off (could this be connected with the problem) although the courtesy light turns off as usual! What would cause this?

I would also like to say that after owning several other makes of car I can't believe how well these Mercs are put together! The first job I done was to clean out all the wheel arches and was amazed at the 'almost new' condition I found them in after being caked in mud for several years.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have to disconnect the battery if left for more than a few days.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
The windows should not work with the doors closed & ignition off. Your car probably doesn't have the comfort closing feature but you can test this - wind a window down, shut the door, turn and hold the key in the "lock" position for 15 secs to see if the window closes

If the window closes you have comfort locking. I'd start with the control box for it. If the window doesn't close I'd try pulling out the fuses one-by-one to see if that stops the current drain. If it doesn't, try pulling the N10 relay, then the other relays in the relay box. If it still doesn't, try disconnecting the vacuum pump then the tailgate lock

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do have the complete work sheets for the comfort pack, but it is 25mb and too large to send out through the average mail box. I have to find a way of breaking it down

OP
W

w124260e

Reaction score
The car does have the comfort closing feature, I left the sunroof open and drivers window then held the key in the locked postion and they both closed, no problems there. The drain dissapears if fuse 9 is taken out so this probably confirms the window problem???
I then disconnected the comfort relay under the rear seats (black box with 5 plugs connected to it) in the n/s of the car. I then checked the meter again and it was flying around 1 to 3 amps and wouldn't settle down!! Could it be this causing the drain?

The only other parts I haven't tried are the N10 relay(what's it look like, location?) vacum pump (is that on the o/s of car under rear seat?) and boot lock.

Thanks for you help guys.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you belong to MSN messenger I could send the file along that. It will be the memory part that has failed that is K24 the memory relay, pull it out and see

OP
W

w124260e

Reaction score
Hi, I've sent you the MSN details.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just tried it on live messenger and it comes up no contacts match my search

You can try and find me, the same name as here television

joe1972

Reaction score
w124260e, I totally agree with you RE the build quality thing. I've not long got mine, and have to taken the wheels off to clean out the arches. Some mechanical work so far has also pretty much confirmed how well they are put together.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom