W124 break-in repercussions = multifaceted problem(s)...

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
Dear all,

I am sorry to keep going on about this but I need some expert help.

Last week my car was broken into, I've posted about this. Its annoying but I'll get over it, and get it all repaired.

The battery was run down by the punks who did the above, and as a result, the old dealer fitted immobiliser kicked in. The car would not start and I had to call a local auto-electrician to get the car going again. He was very good and was able to by-pass the immobiliser, as a temp measure.

However, in doing the above, the car now won't start due to a fuel pump issue. More often then not, when the ignition key is turned, the fuel pump doesn't make its usual 'loud' noise. When it finally does, the car starts.

The ignition barrel, as hacked, by the auto electrician is not sending a message to the fuel pump OR the fuel pump is in need of replacement?

Odd really as this in the last 12 months the car has covered 5000 miles without fuss. We just did a 700 mile round trip 15 days ago, again without issue.

Is it just bad luck the fuel pump has started playing up, alongside this break-in? OR has the auto electrician's hack messed things up? Once the car starts, it runs perfectly.

I've noted since ownership, the pump has always been loud and made an unhealthy noise, like it was straining itself. This noise has now lessened so I am thinking the fuel pump may need replacing.

The car has covered 123k miles now, and is the M111 engine.

Advise sought!
Thanks in advance.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Surely your insurance will sort this out after a break in?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
I've noted since ownership, the pump has always been loud and made an unhealthy noise, like it was straining itself. Thanks in advance.
Hi
First, get the fuel filter changed by an independent garage.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
On earlier 124s the immobiliser nearly always cut into the starter circuit, so if the immobiliser was activated it wouldnt turn over. But I think on the later ones like yours it would crank but the fuel supply was cut. It does seem like too much of a coincidence. The fuel pumps themselves very rarely fail, its usually the relays, but again on the later models like yours the relays are different and seldom give trouble. The hacked ignition barrel shouldnt make any difference for now aslong as it only damaged the barrel and not the electrical plug at the back. I would be thinking its still something to do with the immobiliser, or the by-pass that has been done. You need to find out what/where he did the by-pass

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The only real way of knowing is to remove the access panel in the rear of the rear wing and put a voltmeter on the live terminal on either of the 2 pumps.
When the key is turned there should be 12 volt just for a few seconds while the fuel pump relay waits for the signal from the CPS to activate it again.

By removing the relay you can bridge out pins 7 and 8 and the pumps will run all the time for testing to see if the pumps are OK.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Surely your insurance will sort this out after a break in?

If I let the insurance company handle this, it would have been a total loss. I had to negotiate very strongly to keep my car. They were happy for it to be a total loss, then I'd purchase the car back, but this would have resulted in it being recorded as a CAT C, not something I wanted.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
First, get the fuel filter changed by an independent garage.

Are there two fuel filters on my car? If so, which one?

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On earlier 124s the immobiliser nearly always cut into the starter circuit, so if the immobiliser was activated it wouldnt turn over. But I think on the later ones like yours it would crank but the fuel supply was cut. It does seem like too much of a coincidence. The fuel pumps themselves very rarely fail, its usually the relays, but again on the later models like yours the relays are different and seldom give trouble. The hacked ignition barrel shouldnt make any difference for now aslong as it only damaged the barrel and not the electrical plug at the back. I would be thinking its still something to do with the immobiliser, or the by-pass that has been done. You need to find out what/where he did the by-pass

Thanks Rob, I feel the same, its the new hack that has caused this issue, and not a noisy fuel pump.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom