TheGaffer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C124 (1992) C124 (1989) W201 (190e -1990) & E class W211 220cdi
Hi People,
so over the weekend i decided to attack the rot on my E Class Coupe (C124) that yes you guessed is the rear sub frame front mounts. If you did not know and own these models i suggest you whip of your wheels and have a dig with a screw driver, although your see the rot easy enough if its starting to set in. Now I did the following.
Removed foot brake cables, calipers (hung up using tie clips so did not remove pipes) i then undone exhaust from middle box, undo prop bolts, removed the fuel line and drained tank, then the nasty one if you dont know how to take out rear seat support is the ABS cable, you need to remove the rear left seat (backrest) at the bottom in center is an 8mm bolt undo and lift seat upwards at same as angle as the seat is and it will then come out *put headrest down
Then removed the shock bolts at bottom and also the 2 bolts either side on the sway bar (Incidentally ive seen people remove sub frame to get sway bar out you dont need too)
So now will all disconnected oh sorry yes and oil feed that goes in the axle.
Now before i did all this i sprayed up the four bolts that hold the sub frame to the body, but they was hard work once all removed obviously having jacks under neath expected sub frame to drop down as my way 200kg i would think, but nope it did not the front mounts dropped out but the rear mounts no and they looked as if someone has replaced these prior to me getting this car and so reluctant to mash them up as they are not cheap and i want to spend on replacing what needs replacing.
So has any of you done this and had same issue, ive tapped it with hammer placed round bit of bar on and hit upwards, sideways and it wont budge, have loosened the nearside a little but its just not wanting to drop - so suggestions please - your help is much appreciated. I will post more pics once job complete. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1762[1].JPG
    IMG_1762[1].JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom