W124 - C36 AMG Engine conversion HELP!

M3Killer

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so would like to say Hello & How you doing to all of you.

I'm a Merc fan and have in the past owned a number of mercs inc 190e 2.3 16v Cosworth, 2x C36 AMG, S500

I'm currently considering a new project & currently doing my research. I spoke to a forum member & he suggested that i join the forum & ask you (wise) guys for help.

So here i am

Background: I smashed my C36 last year & have purchased it back from the insurance company. I was planning to break it but now i'm look to do a project.

Project: I'm considering creating a W124 AMG, Ideally i would like to do a coupe (ce) but may also consider a saloon.
I'm done some inital reseach & i know it's been done a number of times succesfully. I've also been advised that a couple of guys on this forum have carried out the conversion.

I've been told that i should aim to find a 320 as i can use the gearbox & wiring inc ECU from the original car. I've been told that its a stright forward engins swap & that i will just need to get the 320's ecu flashed with the C36 software.

I must admit i'm not entirly convinced it will be that straight forward & need your advice & guidance to evaluate my options.

My C36 is a late P reg & is a facelift ver.

1. Is it that straight forward?
  2. Do I need a 320?
  3. Is it difficult?

It would be really useful if someone has a step by step guide.

Thank you all in advance for you help:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,hang on till Andy (Biginaston) returns to the forum

type49

Reaction score
I pressume you know Mercedes built a RHD E36 AMG 124 for the UK market. Therefore, you should be able to do all the mods you require. From what I remember, the 202 & 124 engine ECUs have different connections, both have a double plug but I think the 202 "CAN" connector (green & green/black or green/white) is part of one plug but I "think" in the 124 it's different???

Of course, I may have got this all wrong:Oops::Oops: It's been a while:rolleyes:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi Naz,
Welcome to the forum,
I believe the best people to advise you on this are SAM-UNIT and BlackC55 as between them they fitted an E36 engine into a W124 CE 320 5-speed IIRC, it was for a member of the "other forum", hopefully one of them will be able to steer you in the right direction.

meanie

Reaction score
I pressume you know Mercedes built a RHD E36 AMG 124 for the UK market. Therefore, you should be able to do all the mods you require. From what I remember, the 202 & 124 engine ECUs have different connections, both have a double plug but I think the 202 "CAN" connector (green & green/black or green/white) is part of one plug but I "think" in the 124 it's different???

Of course, I may have got this all wrong:Oops::Oops: It's been a while:rolleyes:

I've fitted a C36 ECU to an E36 with no hassle, plug & play.
The E36 has a bigger rad as I recall & I think that the down pipe was slightly larger too.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom