W124 Clicking Noise from Engine

mickt

Reaction score
Hi

I have a W124 5 cylinder diesel, there is a clicking noise that is getting worse, changed the oil and filter, fuel filter and particle filter by the lift pump

started the engine still the clicking noise is still there, I removed the belt on the front of the engine , still the clicking noise is still there

anyone have any idea's what it could be or have had this them self's

OP
M

mickt

Reaction score
Yes, when engine speed is at 1000rpm does click more, when above 1500 rpm doesn't click, when on idle at 600rpm just click's randomly

sounded like the powersteering pump, thats why I removed the belt, cant tell where its coming from :(

GEORGEROV

Reaction score
Not something as simple as something loose contacting the crankshaft pulley or engine covers etc for example?

OP
M

mickt

Reaction score
NO, I've checked all of that :(

OP
M

mickt

Reaction score
found nothing in the old oil, other than been black with carbon

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Yes, when engine speed is at 1000rpm does click more, when above 1500 rpm doesn't click, when on idle at 600rpm just click's randomly

sounded like the powersteering pump, thats why I removed the belt, cant tell where its coming from :(
Sounds like you're describing hydraulic tappets. What oil are you using? I found Shell Helix to give the best improvement in valve train noise on mine with Castrol Magnatec the worst. You could try an additive like Forte Top End Treatment and see if it improves.

OP
M

mickt

Reaction score
:p:p:p:p

yippee, whats next to the power steering pump, the vacuum pump, took it off and found the roller that is operated by the double cam as broken up, fitted a second hand one that's good as new, seems to be a common problem I've been told by the guy who sold me the secondhand vacuum pump.

brakes feel softer and sharper as well

OP
M

mickt

Reaction score
whats next, park brake I reckon

Top Bottom