W124 Coupe fronr spring replacement

124coupe

Reaction score
W124 Coupe front spring replacement

Hi all, I have to replace both front springs (one cracked at the top and the other rusty) and the anode plates on my coupe.

I have "standard" spring compressors rated at 1500KG that I've used on McP equipped cars before but reading old posts etc it seems these are not up to the job.

Anyone know a hire option (Midlands near Stratford-upon-Avon) where I might get a day's use of the internal type compressor?

Or is there a safe(ish) alternative method I can use? I have trolley jacks/axle stands etc.

(I have the new OEM springs, with the right colored spots, sitting by me)

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
You realy do need the internal compressor.

The spring preload is much higher than the weight on the associated wheel (3 or 4 times) and any other type of spring restraint might just let go whilst the spring is being handled into or out of place, expect a hospital visit or one way undertaker trip if this happens.

Without some form of srong internal spring restraint don't even consider it.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I have done this job with and without an internal spring compressor.

My advice is simple, use the correct tool or find someone to do it for you.

I will say this, if you are determined, have lots of tools (multiple trolley jacks, ramps etc..) then it CAN be done without the compressor. However, asking how would suggest you ought not to do it.

Sorry, I don't want to appear superior, smug or awkward, I just don't want to see anyone get injured with those springs. Wireman isn't kidding or wrong when he warns of the consequences.

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
No prob. I have a good idea how and can see the forces involved at various compressions from playing with the new springs.

I was hoping someone knew of a hire place in the Midlands as I can't find one..

The car is a hobby and second car so I like to do the work myself wherever possible.

Rasputin

Reaction score
Spring Compressor

You have been given very wise advice regarding the risk of MB springs
But if you decide to do it make sure you have the right compressor.

The cheaper you can get is the Sealy Internal spring compressor at £26
You just might get away with it. Make sure you compress as many coils as possible so that when the two brackets in the spindle touch each other you might be able to withdraw the spring. Measure the compressed spring once is out of the car and compress the new one to same length before installing. The hooks are unequal length. Long one uppermost on top and lowest at the bottom

Sealey Internal Spring Compressor
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Coil-Spring-Reducer-Clamp-350mm-Sealey-AK3842

sealeyspringcompressor.jpg

But the real compressor you need is this one.
mbspanner.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Federspanner-...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

With the Right Compressor is so easy…….

http://www.klann-online.de/englisch/Filme_E/KL-0025-1_E.htm

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
got the Sealey one on the way home and it works fine on the new spring - will change both at the weekend - thanks.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I've used the Sealey one before but had great trouble getting it out of the spring once in the car. The lugs are a bit on the long side.

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
Just as a quick update....

I used the Sealey AK3842.V2 to replace the front springs on my W124 E320 Coupe with no problems - the unit is plenty strong enough and can't slip as its internal. (one spring had broken at the first (top) coil).

For those who do the same:

I strongly suggest having a dry run with the new springs before using on the car as the "arms" on the compressor are a snug fit and need to be fed in using a certain technique because of the relatively small hole in the spring bearers.

Worthwhile to undo the damper top nut (using a hex key to stop the damper rotating) as this greatly reduces the amount you need to compress the spring and also eases access. The hub needs support while the damper is dropped to prevent strain to the brake hose.

Less than 2 hours including cleaning up the spring bearers etc.

mclarenfan

Reaction score
front springs

Hi, im stuck with my front springs at the mo, ive brought the sealey internal compressor and managed to get the spring in but then cant release the internal compressor. it is starting to annoy me slightly. maybe im doing somethink wrong so i would appricate any further advice anyone could give me please. ive got a 300 ce and have missed driving it as it has now been of the road 2 weeks so i want it back as soon as possible.

Many thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
You have been given very wise advice regarding the risk of MB springs
But if you decide to do it make sure you have the right compressor.

The cheaper you can get is the Sealy Internal spring compressor at £26
You just might get away with it. Make sure you compress as many coils as possible so that when the two brackets in the spindle touch each other you might be able to withdraw the spring. Measure the compressed spring once is out of the car and compress the new one to same length before installing. The hooks are unequal length. Long one uppermost on top and lowest at the bottom

Sealey Internal Spring Compressor
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Coil-Spring-Reducer-Clamp-350mm-Sealey-AK3842

sealeyspringcompressor.jpg

But the real compressor you need is this one.
mbspanner.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Federspanner-...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

With the Right Compressor is so easy…….

http://www.klann-online.de/englisch/Filme_E/KL-0025-1_E.htm

many of the newer external spring compressors now use almost identical spring 'cups' now to clamp the spring, so perhaps they can be done ok with the correct type of external compressor.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Hi, im stuck with my front springs at the mo, ive brought the sealey internal compressor and managed to get the spring in but then cant release the internal compressor. it is starting to annoy me slightly. maybe im doing somethink wrong so i would appricate any further advice anyone could give me please. ive got a 300 ce and have missed driving it as it has now been of the road 2 weeks so i want it back as soon as possible.

Many thanks

I had the same trouble with it and ended up using an angle grinder to cut the lugs back (in situ). Don't cut too much off or they won't work next time.

mclarenfan

Reaction score
front springs

Thanks for reply, had already noticed the lugs was too long, have took some off this morning and will attempt to fit these flipping springs again. Fingers crossed. Will post the good news or not.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I fitted my springs and then cut the lugs. MB springs are such fun...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for reply, had already noticed the lugs was too long, have took some off this morning and will attempt to fit these flipping springs again. Fingers crossed. Will post the good news or not.

so if we hear nothing, we know its slightly less good news then :shock::shock:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95

I hate the thought of you risking life and limb - where you based - perhaps someone can help.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
It's not that dangerous, my spring only flew as far as the wall across the road.... :lol:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
isnt the road 3 fields away though?:rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol:

mclarenfan

Reaction score
1st attempt the compresser released just missing my head. ! spring in and all fitted, 2nd 1 to go in the morning. Thanks guys for all ure replies, it has really helped me, just glad im halfway done and i get my car back on the road. Im based in Milton Keynes kth286. These forums are excellant for seeking advice, much appricated.

mclarenfan

Reaction score
Success. Front springs & shocks all done & car back on the road wey hey. Thanks for the advice guys. Shant rush to do a job like that again.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Well done that man, must feel like a new car to drive now. :)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom