W124 damaged front bumper - replace or patch up?

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
This is now cracked courtesy of someone reversing into it:(
I am wondering if anyone has an idea re the cost of a replacement, or alternatively what to use to repair it? The crack is wide enough for rain to get in so I suppose it will deteriorate if left.
The car is a 96 w124 estate in green black (quite an unusual colour).
I'm not having a good day:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Too hard to say without a picture,,there are firms who weld them and make good,,any chance of a picture of your not so good day damage

OP
D

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
The damage does not look too bad Malcolm, the bumper is still its original shape, just cracked.
Are there any National firms who deal in this type of repair?
Or are there any repair kits/glue type repair kits?
Or I could just leave it to go with the other body scars the car has.:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could just leave it,, there are DIY kits,or you could use P38. the hard job is always the painting as the colours are not easily available in aerosol form,,the other problem is that the paint has a matting agent added at the 10% rate, and you cannot buy this.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Has the bumper or the bumper centre cracked? If it's the centre insert it can be plastic welded & repainted if the crak isn't too bad and there are no bits missing

Normally I just replace the bumper centre. Around £70 + paint

OP
D

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
Thanks Nick - if the bumper centre is the part of the bumper which protrudes furthest, and has the no. plate attatched to it, then yes it is this bit.
You say £70 + paint - how much all in?

Thanks again, John.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
£150 min with paint and fitting, or one from a breaker the right colour.

OP
D

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
Thanks Malcolm - Are you glued or restrained in some way to your computer?
If you need rescuing let me know - Dogman will save you!:p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm - Are you glued or restrained in some way to your computer?
If you need rescuing let me know - Dogman will save you!:p

Alas I am too far gone now to be saved :(,,but my life may turn around soon so that I hardly post at all

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Alas I am too far gone now to be saved :(,,but my life may turn around soon so that I hardly post at all

Are you still thinking about importing that Swedish model then?

It won't matter too much if you don't post on here anymore, we'll all just queue up outside you house until you've answered our questions and then, once you've made the tea, we'll go away for a while. Hope you've got enough parking spaces. :D

As for the bumper, unless the car is otherwise pristine I'd leave it. A little wear and tear gives cars character but if you can't live with it try someone like robparker on here. I've had good results with having paint mixed from Halfords. I wouldn't use them to try and blend paint in mid-panel but for separate items like bumpers they are more than OK.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you still thinking about importing that Swedish model then?

It won't matter too much if you don't post on here anymore, we'll all just queue up outside you house until you've answered our questions and then, once you've made the tea, we'll go away for a while. Hope you've got enough parking spaces. :D

As for the bumper, unless the car is otherwise pristine I'd leave it. A little wear and tear gives cars character but if you can't live with it try someone like robparker on here. I've had good results with having paint mixed from Halfords. I wouldn't use them to try and blend paint in mid-panel but for separate items like bumpers they are more than OK.

Yes,,she is in hospital for the time being and will be for another 2 weeks, she does have UK residence so that's OK.

I can take parking for about 4 cars,so no problem there.

I suppose a bumper thread is alright ot post this on:D:D

OP
D

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
The Swedish model sounds like an excellent idea Malcolm - as long as it's not a Volvo you're referring to.
She can massage your shoulders whilst you reply to all these threads:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Swedish model sounds like an excellent idea Malcolm - as long as it's not a Volvo you're referring to.
She can massage your shoulders whilst you reply to all these threads:D
It is early days yet and it may not happen.

She cannot understand why I should sit here,,and to be truthful I do not either, but in the morning she is slow to get going,,so that will give an hour or two. :D:D

OP
D

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
What is P38 Malcolm, and where can i buy it from?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is P38 Malcolm, and where can i buy it from?

P38 is a 2 component filler,it comes from all car shops.

you just put some on a piece of wood or stiff card, apply a little hardener from the tube and mix well. It goes off quite quickly so you cannot hang around too long,,the warmer the weather or the more hardener that you use the quicker it goes off. With the plastic spreader provided spread it over the dent or hole, get it as smooth as possible. leave it a few mins to go off and harden, if the filler is at the correct level then you can sand off using a block for the paper. A grit 100 will soon flat it,if you still have a dent,,then mix some more and spread on carefully, then sand off with a finer paper. when nice and smooth and no holes or dents you can spray on a primer and flat again with a 400 paper

OP
D

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
Had a local bodyshop look at the car yesterday. He said that a new bumper centre is his recommendation due to the extent of cracking and that they would have to - get the part, paint it, fit it which includes taking off all of the original bumper. Cost circa £350. This tallies with another garage estimating between £300 - £400. Anyway man at bodyshop said it wouldn't get any worse. Therefore I am taking the Roadhog route and shall live with this minor imperfection. It will, as I think Roadhog said, "add character", and living in a world where other people think nothing of opening their car doors and using your car as a door stopper, it's just not worth it is it?

Top Bottom