W124 diesel engine oil pressure

stuartmac

Reaction score
Hi,

This is more a 'seeking information' question rather than a 'help!' question.

Discussing oil pressure, gauges and engine longevity on another site, I was mildly surprised when I converted the 3-bar W124 dash gauge maximum to proper pounds per square inch - barely 48psi! :???:

Merc diesels are hardly known for short life, so what's the secret? Lots of roller and ball bearings? Large plain bearing surface areas? The normal pressure's much higher but the gauge only displays the area where you should start worrying?

Regards,

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
not too clued up on this, but i would suspect that the '3' is a dial maxium. if it wasnt limited, it would rise to whatever real figure under the load. ie 3 is like a minimum safe value, drop below here and danger. just because its on 3 doesnt mean the pressure is 3. it could be 6 or whatever if the dial went that high.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nothing wrong with 48lb thats fine,,any excess over this, and it causes to much oil splash, and you would be burning it

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I do think it's reading in bar. My German equivalent to the Haynes book says you've got a problem if the pressure drops below 0.3 bar. That's not a lot really but as long as you have positive pressure of some sort you should be OK.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom