W124 differential

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
The part at the breakers with the VIN you posted does only have ABS BUT it is a different part number for the diff.

The diff off that breaker car has part number 124 350 31 74. Ask them to confirm that.

The diff for your estate car is 30 74 as you previously posted.

It may just be the rear cover of the diff is different for estate and car/coupe because the estate had stronger subframes.

The stronger subframes may mean the rear diff cover has a a different fixing and you could maybe change over the rear covers.

You should do more research of those covers on the parts website.

OP

3ps

Reaction score
yikes, thanks! i never specified it was an estate etc when dealing with the breakers.

I'll try to get the chassis number for the other one I found.

Edit: hang on... earlier I posted that I had 31 74... same as breakers.

Are you getting the 30 74 from somewhere else?

Last edited:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
sorry I got those numbers reversed.

They are however different part numbers for the diffs off those two VINs.

As you say your's is 31 74 BUT the diff off the car/coupe VIN you are proposing buying should be 30 74.

Now if you have confirmed that the diff you are proposing to buy is a 31 74 like yours then it is NOT off that VIN.

Perhaps they were just trying to appease you in some way, as in my experience breakers do not keep a record of the car VINs that parts come off - though they should as it would make the job of cross checking muxh easier for the intended buyer.

OP

3ps

Reaction score
interesting thanks. finding this out is exactly why I started this thread!

Not sure who to trust now!

I'm getting used to detali.ru now... I can see there is a ratio difference to between the saloon 1:3.07 to the estate 1:3.67

Last edited:
OP

3ps

Reaction score
Well I ordered this part from Dronsfields and it's the wrong ****** one!

My mechanic said that the ratio on it seemed to be 3.27 as opposed to 3.07. I'm somewhat OK with this, it's not the end of the world.

However, he also said tha ABS sensor looked different so we are seeing if we can match it up. If we can't it's going back.

The diff is marked (in paint) with E320.

How hard can it be to send me to correct part?????

Is anybody able to see if the 3.27 ratio is correct? If it's really 3.67 then that is a big difference and I'm not sure I want that. Would the car be faster or slower?

Edit: scratch that I see I'm supposed to have 3.27.... anybody any ideas on the ABS sensor?

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
any breaker will definately have the right one/ they are sure its`s the right one/ probably the right one/ will definately fit/ might need simple modification but easy done/ fairly easily done etc etc.

you gotta love them. never trust a hippy, or a breaker ;)

OP

3ps

Reaction score
OK the new part has different flanges too.
I have the following part number from it (I think):

Would somebody be able to tell me if this is a diff part number and used on E320's so I have some info to go back to them with?

I really do not want to have to spend 1k on a new one.

Searching on google this seems to be the part for the casing. Sigh this is complicated.

I did find a site in Germany which has the used part listed including source vehicle info and even a picture of the part. www.german-spob.de with english translation too but I've never heard of this and am not sure how much shipping would be.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
also input and output flange sizes may vary, and ratio may vary. part number is the ideal way of matching.

part number is stamped on the rear face with the ratio. ignore cast numbers on the casing. check the russian site to see if the diff is for a 320.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
those are THE part numbers. the part number is stamped onto the machined face at the rear of the housing at the bottom right corner, along with the ratio. cast numbers on the side of the housing will not do.

some people don't, but i do like to say i told you so. :D:D:D

OP

3ps

Reaction score
yeah but i asked them for that and they confirmed and even gave me the car VIN to double check.

I don't know how to find that part number of the detali.ru site. i can see lots of references to it in a google search though but not in english. I have seen some references that seem to indicate it was a W124 part reused in W210's?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many 210 cars use a 124 diff if you used it the 3.27 to 1 means that the car would be slightly higher geared but only by a tiny amount

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
OK the new part has different flanges too.
I have the following part number from it (I think):

Would somebody be able to tell me if this is a diff part number and used on E320's so I have some info to go back to them with?

I really do not want to have to spend 1k on a new one.

Searching on google this seems to be the part for the casing. Sigh this is complicated.

I did find a site in Germany which has the used part listed including source vehicle info and even a picture of the part. www.german-spob.de with english translation too but I've never heard of this and am not sure how much shipping would be.

That part number is probably just the rear cover which is interchangeable.

OP

3ps

Reaction score
at the moment we are working with the diff dronfields sent. The ABS sensor can be swopped and we are going to try just swopping the flanges. They are adamant that the diff is correct but with the slightly different sensor and different flange sizes as to what is already on the car I don't see how it can be.

If the flanges can't be moved easily (i.e. I'm not paying for x hours labour) then I will be asking them to take it back.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
good luck. i sent an interior light back to them and i was supposed to get a credit for it. im still waiting 3 years later so i gave up on it! i will never use them again though

OP

3ps

Reaction score
Well the old flanges are out. My mechanic has done this type of thing before so I expect it will work out OK.

If it doesn't then they can pay for their own part collection or I will just stop my CC payment.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well the old flanges are out. My mechanic has done this type of thing before so I expect it will work out OK.

If it doesn't then they can pay for their own part collection or I will just stop my CC payment.....

I hope it goes well after all this,,good luck

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
3ps, what part number do you have STAMPED on the MACHINED REAR FACE of the main body of the diff, you know, next to where the ratio is stamped? if you tell me i will look it up on the mbru site and check for you. did you say it had 320 written on it?

ANOTHER WARNING 3ps, this WRONG diff may also be wider across the flanges (not the flange size, the dimension laterally across the diff) this may mean your drive shafts will be too long.

sorry for shouting, but the unhappy situation you find yourself in has been like watching a car crash for me.

OP

3ps

Reaction score
TBH it's getting confusing. I trust my mechanic to sort it out. He has rebuilt lots of mercs, modern and classic over the years etc. And has done diff rebuild type work before.

I THINK the new diff sent to me had 1243513008 on it with TAXI SPEC on it (I think this is a housing/casing part number) BUT there is a chance now that this casing was a replacement cover and not associated with the actual diff. The ratio on it is 3.27 and somebody has written in white paint "320 W124 3.27". However, Dronfields tell me a 320 diff is twice the size so it couldn't be it. I certainly don't know....

But I could have things wrong. I'm supposed to get the car back this weekend and I'll update you all on the details.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I think we are all looking forward to that update and final conclusion.

OP

3ps

Reaction score
OK the car is ready and fixed. A bit of a roundabout way of getting there, and an hour or two extra in labour charges but he assures me the unit he installed seemed to be in very good condition and it drives very well and no noise from it at all.

The diff already on my car had the rear housing replaced and "taxi spec" stamped on it. It must have been replaced at some stage (135k miles).

The new diff was not marked with the 1243503174 partnumber and had the larger flange but the other flanges were swopped over. The ABS sensor looked different but was the same connection. It is the same 3.27 ratio.

I'll drive it for a week or so to see if it's all OK before handing over to my wife. She shall have the pleasure of driving my 1980 W123 200 in the meantime.

I advertised my '92 300TD and have had 21 calls so I'm sure it'll shift soon.

Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom