W124 door card wood trim - can it be bent back to shape?

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
Unsure as to the actual material of the "wood" trim along the top of the door card, but it's bowing to the extent that it's pulling the surround off the seat position switches.

Is it possible to bend it back into shape if I take it off.... or must I replace? Would it respond to a little heat, I wonder? I've searched eBay for replacements, but nothing appears yet.

IMG_2273.JPG IMG_2274.JPG

Jeremy

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It is wood with veneer so should be able to be straightened. If you get it off you can either try yourself using steam or speak nicely to a cabinet maker.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I wouldn't heat it as it could bend even more. I would be cautious about steam as it may unglue the veneer as its possible the glue wont be wbp Water boil proof) grade.
For it to warp after being perfectly straight for many years suggests it is getting wet or very moist ?
Even if you did straighten it there is a chance it would just twist again as that would be the natural lay of the wood.
As lost kiwi suggests, have a chat with a cabinet maker.. you never know !
I am curious as to what "wood" the body is made from.
I had a 1963 Daimler and decided to relacquer the dash, took it off and discovered the base wood was mahogany !

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I did try this with a part above the ashtray .This part had bowed and was parting company from the wood backing,
I removed it and put the part above a steam from the boiling kettle ,That was the end of the part, i heard a crack and the lacquer split through the center .

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom