w124 e200 manual misifre

whipsey

Reaction score
when driving the car feels very underpowered as if it has a major flat spot in all gears i've changed one of the coil packs that seemed to be causing the misfire but only seems to have solved the problem when idleing any help would be appreciated

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
anyone got any ideas of what to check? I've done a few searches on here and have also found a snapped earth wire could this be a possible cause?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
welcome to the forums.

ive never heard of a snapped earth wire causing a misfire but it needs replaced as soon as possible anyhow as it will cause many other problems, like poor starting etc. id start by replacing the earth lead, checking/replacing spark plugs and leads etc as a starting point. my rule of thumb is always start with the simple cheap items first. they cost less to replace and are usually the more likely culprits!

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
so far i've checked for spark etc checked that power etc is getting throught to the coil packs and replace the pack that feeds pots 1 and 4 and everything seems fine i've traced the wiring back and checked power to all wiring next step i'm going to try is to change the ecu and see what happens there :(

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
you will get a spark of sorts even with faultyplugs and plugleads. id start with those firts. much cheaper than ecu!

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Dont change the ECU.

The ECU relies on a myriad sensors to feed it information, these rely on the wires connecting them.

There are some very basic checks you can make with a simple voltmeter.

Check my threads to see what I went through - there are also some key voltages and resistances on there which you could check too.

And yes, start with the cheap things - even new sensors aren't expensive.

Tony

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
I've ran a multi meter over the various wiring etc there is power to the coils and from the ignition module etc could this be a case of needing a new loom? which sensors would need to be checked etc this is my first mercedes so i'm a bit of a novice where to look on them

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I take that this is an e200 (111 engine) with PMS injection/ign or is it a late one with HFM?

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
I take that this is an e200 (111 engine) with PMS injection/ign or is it a late one with HFM?

its an m reg 2.0 litre unsure of the engine number etc as its my first merc

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Post the full VIN and we can tell you the full spec of the car - will be useful to you.

The VIN is normally in the lower windscreen - passenger side - 17 digit number(including the letters). You can read it from outside the car.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
its an m reg 2.0 litre unsure of the engine number etc as its my first merc

Has it got a black top or silver top of engine?

raymbl

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c 200 auto estate
I have just read your post regarding misfire and car being very underpowered
I had the same problem on my c200 auto with the car being very underpowered and the engine would not rev over 4000 rpm in kickdown mode which made it feel like it being held back .
This is the reason I joined the forum and reading through the posts it pointed to a MAF sensor problem , I tried cleaning the sensor but this made no difference to the car.
So I purchase a new one from a ebay seller for 30 pounds which I understand to be a cheap copy of the original bosch one.
I fitted it this morning and it transformed the car with better gear changes and full power restored.
So my advise would be change this sensor first.

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
i will check the log book for vin number etc and post it up

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
top of the engine is silver i have so far removed the loom that sits inthe black plastic that connects to the injectors etc and stripped the sheathing but it all appears fine so i'm going to check the loom that is attached to the coil packs etc now

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Have you an air mass sensor? Some of the 111 engines (early) did not have them.

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
just checked the log book and theengine number starts 111 what's the air mass sensor look like?
merc.jpg

would this be it?

OP
W

whipsey

Reaction score
i tried plugging my diagnostics in but have been told its not always connected unless opted for

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
you can read blink codes on this model. if you connect an led or ideally a power probe to socket 8. with ignition on, short pin 8 to earth (pin 1) for between 1 and 5 seconds. the probe will blink a series of codes if faults are stored - you have to keep going through the procedure until you get the first code again. to erase it`s the same but 5 - 10 seconds of earth. if no faults stored or you have cleared them it will blink just once. at least that`s how i remember it!! you will have the diagnostics available on your car. and i believe you have pms, so no air mass sensor - that`s your throttle body btw.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom