W124 E280T ('95): Central Locking / Infrared

JensH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124
Hi all,

I've done nearly 55k largely untroubled miles in my '95 (facelift) E-Class having brought it into 100% working order, after buying it in Autumn 2013 - it's now at 185k miles all-in. No real trouble at all over the last couple of years, apart from having to replace a duff after-market cat last year. One of the major renovations and updates was on the remote / locks system: new N/S door barrel, tailgate lock (complete), second key and reboot of infrared remote which had been u/s when I got the car.

Over Xmas, though, reversing in an awkward off-road parking location, I dislodged and damaged the rear O/S bumper return, which has required fibre-glass work, some improvised bracket repair and a repaint, and, in the same Xmas week, I also travelled down a flash flooded country road, which was at about the limit of what one would sensibly drive through.

Since the two episodes, rear bash and flood navigation, the infrared remotes have gone u/s. These may or not be connected. The CL itself is fine (using the key on either passenger door or tailgate). The keys with new CR2025s are both fine also. But no infrared remote operation. Tried re-synch through both methods with no success. Checked fuses, ok.

Yesterday I ran my blink code tester at the 16 pin diagnostic terminal and at pin 12 (for the infrared) there was no light at all - meaning, I believe, no power, which suggests, I think, that the IR remote control CU itself has gone u/s. There is power from the main CL CU to the vacuum pump since the locks work.

So, my first question is, bearing in mind my car left the factory in November 1995 and was registered March 1996, where is the IR CU? My understanding from the factory manuals available on line, is that it is either a single unit (N54) under the O/S rear seat squab next to the vacuum pump, or two units (N54 and N54/1) located behind the passenger airbag. Mine is the T-model, estate. If the unit is under the rear seat squab (can't see it obviously), then I strongly suspect that is was ruined by flood water. In taking the bumper off, I found 6" water in the spare tyre well, with the drainage grommet blocked...

Secondly, assuming I can source and fit a second hand working IR CU, it will first need to be coded to align with the key / ignition codes, non? Which, presumably, means dealer and back to Germany?

Alternatively, any wizard out there have another possible solution?

Anyway, these minor problems pale into insignificance compared to those of a certain prime minister I might mention! :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom