w124 estate petrol or diesel?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So, I think I am winning all the way round the block, and driving the car of my choice too.

When you get old,,we will tell you how to drain the tanks

OP
citroennut

citroennut

Reaction score
so to sum up, the diesels are slow, with slightly better fuel consumption but usually higher mileage but usually not much wrong with them. the 6cyl cars have poorer fuel consumption, lower mileages, sometimes better specced but have head gasket and wiring loom problems.
220s don't seem to come with a high spec as seen to be lower end cars but have fewer problems?
so is it a pertol or a diesel i should buy!

simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why not try one of each and see how they feel to you

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Lot of talk of the 124 Diesel being slow, i didn't think the later multivalve was that bad to be honest but you really had to give it the beans to get the best from it.

You had to floor the throttle (check it's getting full throttle) and keep it there, the engine noise is quite daunting, but in the traffic light sprint the old girl can show a lifted skirt to many modern cars, of course such treatment doesn't really fit with the car's persona, overtaking really does take planning though.

How many times i've wished MB had sorted the plumbing for a turbo or supercharger to be fitted from new on the Diesel version...if mine had been so endowed i'd have kept it for ever.

lakeside

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124/1996/280
so to sum up, the diesels are slow, with slightly better fuel consumption but usually higher mileage but usually not much wrong with them. the 6cyl cars have poorer fuel consumption, lower mileages, sometimes better specced but have head gasket and wiring loom problems.
220s don't seem to come with a high spec as seen to be lower end cars but have fewer problems?
so is it a pertol or a diesel i should buy!

simon

The cylinder head and loom issues with an E280 are a one-off fix, so not exactly a problem - some cars have already had replacements, if not, factor it in to the purchase price. Once done, these engines can go on for huge mileages with proper servicing. The performance is much better than the diesel (I've owned both), the mid-range acceleration being particularly impressive. My advice is to get an E280.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The cylinder head and loom issues with an E280 are a one-off fix, so not exactly a problem - some cars have already had replacements, if not, factor it in to the purchase price. Once done, these engines can go on for huge mileages with proper servicing. The performance is much better than the diesel (I've owned both), the mid-range acceleration being particularly impressive. My advice is to get an E280.

Agreed. The one I had was 6 years old with 108,000 and had the head gasket replaced @ 80,000. Ran flawlessly for the 2 years I had it - was quick and frugal for a car of its size and performance.

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
we have had 5 124 diesels and used to drive backwards and forwards to Poland to work. Our cars used to do approx. 4,000mls a month and used to be sold off when they reached 200,000 or 4 years old. Always used to drive at 85-90 When in Germany and still get 30mpg with car loaded up. Never once had a breakdown-car was serviced every 6 weeks. Tell me - were we lucky - or does the car speak for itself. We still have one - 1990 - 250d 124- body work brilliant - but as you can imagine it has done a lot of miles - but still going strong.

simon_wall69

Reaction score
I think the conclusion that must be drawn is that each have their advantages - take TV's advice, drive each and see which one suits you best.

I have diesels because they suit my purpose - I run it on cheap fuel that I get easily.

Whichever you buy you will be pleased with because, whatever engine, they are excellent cars and the choice of engines comes down to how fast you want to accelarate as all of them will go fast enough for driving in this country at the top end.

I still think you should get the best car that you can for the money that you have and don't worry too much about which engine you get. (Apart from maybe the early carburated 200s - they don't have much go!)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom