w124 Indicator Problems

B

Butterd2

Hi,

First time on the forum but looks like a great source of info.

I recently started having problems with my wipers going every time I touched the Indicator stalk in order to indicate. Then a couple of days ago the indicators just stopped working, the hazards work fine but I get no indicators either inside or outside.
The stalk feels as normal and sits in position as if indicating and then auto cancells as you would expect.
I am assuming this is an electrical fault in the stalk itself, is this a common fault and is there an easy fix or do I just need a replacement stalk?

Many thanks in advance.

Damian.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hell and welcome Damian. :D:D

The stalks can give problems and short out other components, the wipers HRW and the indicators all share the same N10 control box , a fuse could have blown,,and it is well known that the fuses and the holders can oxidize and make a poor contact.
I would get some non drying switch cleaner from Maplins and spray all of the fuse rotating them as you do it, it is possible to pull the end cap off the stalk and spray some switch cleaner down there to see if it clears the fault

OP
B

Butterd2

Many thanks Malcolm. I am now armed with a can of contact cleaner and will give it a go tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Damian.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i think your guess is correct, a common problem on ageing 124s is failing stalks.

OP
B

Butterd2

Well as it turns out Malcolm was spot on, a quick spay of contact cleaner and a roll of the fuses and the indicators are back.

I must admit I cannot understand how this could have caused the symptoms described above, I would have thought the indicators and hazards would both either work or not?
Also do not know as yet if this will cure the wipers starting when I indicate or if that is a separate fault. If it does cure it then I am really confused!!

Many thanks for both your responses, the old girl rolls on.

Damian.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
That's the nice thing with cars of this vintage. A lot of the defects are quite easy diy fixes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Low current devices can suffer from poor connections, when higher current thing like the heated rear window and fans arc,this gives off heat and the heat can weaken the fuse holders,,once the fuses and holders are making a good contact the fuse box will last the life of the car.

Pleased it is all OK and that did not take you long:D

Top Bottom