W124 - power loss when A/C kicks in

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 W123 230E & 1991 W124 200E & 1999 W210 E240
Further to this post: http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119932

Switching the a/c on whilst driving I can feel an instant power loss as the compressor kicks in. The a/c blows ice cold. The engine idles fine with the a/c switched on. The a/c seems to work in pulses, as it blows cold the power loss occurs, then it's fine again, then it happens again...

I understand that the compressor saps some power from the engine but I am concerned that there is a problem when I can feel power losses occurring. I am also concerned that the serpentine belt is being put under additional stress when the a/c kicks in.

Do I have a problem?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Wow, this is a hard one and I have never heard of this before, is the belt loose

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Perfectly normal operation. Early compressors were either on or off, and the drag down on the engine quite normal.

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
For extra power my Scorpio Cosworth used to switch of the air con on WOT (wide open throttle).

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Perfectly normal operation. Early compressors were either on or off, and the drag down on the engine quite normal.

It would still have an electro-magnetic clutch I would have thought, and therefore the feel of 'sudden' switching should not occur. It should be a gentle switch on and off, and therefore nil jerk on the belt.

Possibly a sticky clutch mechanism ?

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It would still have an electro-magnetic clutch I would have thought, and therefore the feel of 'sudden' switching should not occur. It should be a gentle switch on and off, and therefore nil jerk on the belt.

Possibly a sticky clutch mechanism ?

The clutch is either on or off, the same as the electro mag clutch on a 102 fan system. There no way to regulate the power to the magnet to get a soft enguagement.

OP
Peter C1974

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can feel the engagement as the engine loses power but I wouldn't say the engagement is jerky or abrupt.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Possible that your compressor is requiring too much power to function. Might imply its on the way out worn bearings / dry of oil etc? IS THIS A CHANGE IN BEHAVIOUR FROM THE PAST? They always draw some power and this is more noticeable on smaller capacity engines that produce little torque at low revs- diesels are usually better in this respect.

Last edited:
OP
Peter C1974

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possible that your compressor is requiring too much power to function. Might imply its on the way out worn bearings / dry of oil etc? IS THIS A CHANGE IN BEHAVIOUR FROM THE PAST? They always draw some power and this is more noticeable on smaller capacity engines that produce little torque at low revs- diesels are usually better in this respect.

I've only had the car for a few weeks so I can't say if the a/c is behaving any differently.

The a/c has been regassed recently and works well.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom