W124 - Replacing switch illumintion bulbs etc

M.G.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 estate
Hi Folks,

Just fettling up a recent acquisition ( Like you do - when you first get a new toy ) :lol:

Info - Request < W124 - 1992 > Interior illumination bulb identification :confused:

Can anyone confirm - If the tiny Cap-less bulbs fitted to the many dials and switches
are ALL the same Wattage ?

As many of mine are blown :rolleyes: I'm going to replace all of them ( while I'm at it )
- but unfortunately I can't read the Wattage markings, although many of them appear
to be colour coded 'Grey' ( with a frosted glass lens ) Which I'm guessing may be original Merc one's ??

The only two bulbs which appear to be a different size are the Dash ( read - Speedo ) bulbs
- which look to be a fair bit larger ( similar to 501's ) but doubt they'd be the normal 5Watt versions ?

Any help - would be much appreciated ;)

Q - 1 > The TWO top-dash (Speedo) bulbs < details & part No' please >

Q - 2 > Are all the - Fan switch-knobs/ Heater surrounds/ Light switch-surround/ Fog lamp-knob
/ Gear-selector/ Air-vents/ etc - etc the same ? < Quantity - details & Part No' please >

Q - 3 ( if 2 above = NO ) > List differences and appropriate locations please?

Many thanks -
Regards M.G.

PS - If it's of any interest for other 124 owners - I may do a small D.I.Y article of the proceedings

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
No idea on part numbers and exact quantities but from memory mine were all the same bulbs, 5 watts I think. My local motor factor only had 10 watt bulbs so I used them and have the dimmer turned down a bit. If you go to MB they should have all the info you need and I don't think the bulbs will be much more expensive.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The 3 main cluster back light bulbs are 2.2watt and the telltale lamps are 1.2 watt The dealers keep them all

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
The 3 main cluster back light bulbs are 2.2watt and the telltale lamps are 1.2 watt The dealers keep them all

Once again the old geezer is right and I stand corrected. :D

I've just checked and the bulbs I fitted to mine were indeed 1.2w, no idea where I got the 5/10w from. I do remember that they were of a higher wattage than the ones I removed but as I changed all of them it didn't matter.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Once again the old geezer is right and I stand corrected. :D

I've just checked and the bulbs I fitted to mine were indeed 1.2w, no idea where I got the 5/10w from. I do remember that they were of a higher wattage than the ones I removed but as I changed all of them it didn't matter.

I admire you so much for coming back and saying so,,I have to be corrected, and I will always say sorry. (one here will not)

As bulbs of that size do not come in 5w I did not comment

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
fwiw, some of the tiny ones are 0.4w.

OP
M

M.G.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 estate
Many thanks for all the replies folks :)

Looks like a trip to the main stealers (ie: dealers ) is on the cards on this occasion

Regards M.G.

I'll let you know the outcome re-what they recommend the ratings should be ? ;)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom