W124.Slightly sticky steering

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Adding oil to and allready crumbling ball joint may be a folly.

The oil will turn the contents of the joint into grinding paste and rapidly wear away the remains of any good part of said joint, the stiffness or at least most of it will of course be cured but only to be replaced by a danger that you cant hear or feel whilst driving it.

Be safe and dont use the car till its fixed.

OP
L

Loathecliff

Reaction score
Just to put my shocking actions into some perspective. When I dissed the TREs the RHS swivelled very easily & the LHS less so, but it was still easy to move with thumb & forefinger on the disc ..... no effort & no jerkiness, just not as easy as the other side.
The change in steering feel when driving was only slight, but any change happens for a reason, hence my investigation.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Checking them is in the service schedule and details will be in your service book.

Thanks David, yes it says check every two years.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but other than checking for any play in the front wheels (there isnt any) how else can their condition be checked?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom