W124, sounds like a fan.

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I have just purchased an old 300te 1989, and when I put the ignition on I can hear what sounds like a fan running in behind the glove box area, it's not the heater fan, that makes a different noise....it sounds like the cooling fan on my computer!!!
Any ideas?? thanks.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Last edited:

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
That noise is - a fan running behind the glove box

It's the air sampling fan. It runs so the heating system knows what temperature the inside of the car is. The fan is connected to a rubber tube that runs up the n/s A pillar and across the headlining to the little grille by the sunroof switch in the roof console

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That noise is - a fan running behind the glove box

It's the air sampling fan. It runs so the heating system knows what temperature the inside of the car is. The fan is connected to a rubber tube that runs up the n/s A pillar and across the headlining to the little grille by the sunroof switch in the roof console

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk
It takes a 124 fan to know that;);)

OP
mercmadjim

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Gentlemen I thank you all, I have just spoken to the previous owner who said it has been like that for 12 months, and it does not affect the running......looks like a case for turning the stereo up :)

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
Gentlemen I thank you all, I have just spoken to the previous owner who said it has been like that for 12 months, and it does not affect the running......looks like a case for turning the stereo up :)

If the previous owner only noticed it 12 months ago,would that maybe suggest that the bearings/bushes are starting to show signs of wear? Just an observation,I have no idea how easy or otherwise it is to gain access to this fan.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
As the car has a glovebox, not an airbag, it should be a little easier than on a later car. But it won't be easy as it's quite busy back there

I've seen cars with a noisy fan and they're just the same a few years later - I wouldn't assume the noise implies imminent failure

There's a name for that fan but I can't remember it. Anyone?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I believe the fan running all the time is normal and its the bushes/bearings have gone, making it noisy.
http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.u...ls&flypage=shop.flypage&option=com_virtuemart

That price was gainned using the link Malc put up.
Mine went in the 202 but was a high pitched squeal so i replaced it with new.
My friends went in his 202 and he just disconnected it, till he replaced it later, a year on and its still not done so it could,nt of made a lot of difference, to the operation of the heater.

OP
mercmadjim

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Hi,
I believe the fan running all the time is normal and its the bushes/bearings have gone, making it noisy.
http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.u...ls&flypage=shop.flypage&option=com_virtuemart

That price was gainned using the link Malc put up.
Mine went in the 202 but was a high pitched squeal so i replaced it with new.
My friends went in his 202 and he just disconnected it, till he replaced it later, a year on and its still not done so it could,nt of made a lot of difference, to the operation of the heater.

I was going to ask if I could disconnect it.....thank you:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
WD40 is not a lubricant and never has been, yet people spray it onto electronic parts and sensors, into door locks and everywhere else, once it dries you are worse off than before you started in most cases

OP
mercmadjim

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I tried silicone spray with no success:sad: it is now disconnected:D

Top Bottom