W124 Sportline convertible - hello

Harry Flashman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 W124 E320 Sportline convertible
Hello all,

I have joined the forum as I have a 1994 E320 convertible that, after a bit of thinking, have decided to keep. London is, as you know, introducing an emmissions zone in which my car will no longer be driveable withut paying - but as it is a sunny day car, and no-one likes driving through central London anyway, I am going to keep it for trips out of town.

It is a 1994 E320 convertible, with a patchy history, so I have no idea whether it is a genuine Sportline, and I doubt that the (genuine, as far as I can tell) AMG kit is factory fitted. The ducktail certainly is not, and I need to have it removed as I don't think it adds to the rear of the car at all.

It is also wearing 19inch alloys and very low suspension, courtesy of the last owner. I wish to get it back up to Sportlin (-20mm I think?) ride spec, but cannot find suitable springs as most are either standard, or have a greater drop. I do have the original 17 inch AMG monoblocks, which will be refurbished and fitted with new tyres when I manage to get the suspension sorted. I thought about coilovers, but think that the ride may be too harsh...

The car is actually in pretty much perfect condition mechanically, cosmetically and underneath - the last owner restored it, and I saw photos of the work. It has had the wiring loom done, too. It just probably will never be worth top money due to the patchy history. With that in mind, I am looking for a C36 engine from the similar era, to do an engine swap, as I quite fancy 270bhp...

I love the old-school, relaxed way in which it drives (apart from the rock hard suspension), and the fact that the looks seem to be ageing really well. I looked for a long time for one in the right colour combination and condition, and forgave a poor history for a car that l really liked, after a full inspection and evidence of the restoration.

Untitled by baconrashers, on Flickr

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

OP
H

Harry Flashman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 W124 E320 Sportline convertible
Hi, and thanks for responding. Hoping that there is a bit of a W124 contingent here as advice is always helpful So far I have managed to rebuild the wiper relay myself using some helpful internet advice, so look forward to a bit more DIY.

The family daily is also a Mercedes, thius time in CLS63 AMG flavour. Not a car I dare to work on myself, but pretty good fun nontheless!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, what an excellent daily as well as a very nice 124 to play with....sorted!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hi and welcome, 2 gorgeous cars there

I would leave the suspension alone and fit the 17" wheels and tyres first then see what you think, the ride will improve with the increase in sidewall, tyres like Goodyear Efficientgrip are known for a compliant ride

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi and welcome to the forum, love both of those :)

carlls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 cls350 gone 2009 320cdi sports estate
hi and welcome

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Harry and welcome to the forum- nice cars!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom