W124 sunroof motor problem - just one question (yeah right)

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Hiya,
My S124 sunroof motor makes a noise like it's working but doesn't have any effect on the sunroof. However, I can open the sunroof manually, from the boot. My question is, that wee bolt you can turn if you have the right gromet - doesn't turn under electric power, nor does that other plastic wheel thing. Does this mean the gearing is stripped out and I need to get a new motor?

I'm getting the ****** thing working, one way or another. (Possibly my strapline for this forum.)

OP
Silver 300te

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Longshot but cross your fingers, find a black cat and some salt etc before checking/playing with the clutch adjuster [/glass half full]
It'll be covered somewhere under the 'roofs' section... http://www.w124performance.com/service/Index/104index.html

Thanks. Mine is earlier, 103. Do you think they're be any big difference on the sunroof motor? Didn't know there was a hidden clutch adjuster thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Silver 300te

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Longshot but cross your fingers, find a black cat and some salt etc before checking/playing with the clutch adjuster [/glass half full]
It'll be covered somewhere under the 'roofs' section... http://www.w124performance.com/service/Index/104index.html

Glass half full wise, motor gets it open, but not shut. Just have to follow the sun!

The electric motor doesn't make a noise when switched to close. Might be a switch problem.

During all these adventures I lost that widget for the the manual emergency pulley down the spare wheel well. When I got the wheel out, I also found a worrying rust hole. Guess the fun never ends.

Last edited:
OP
Silver 300te

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Next question: Forget the tilt mechanism, how does the opening and closing mechanism actually work? What I think is the cable isn't actually attached to anything. This explains why it won't shut (also because there's no noise from the motor when I press the shut switch) - but how does it open using the switch?

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
If the sunroof moves (whether from pressing the switch or using the emergency manual override) then the cable is intact and connected, 77-160 has a drawing showing how the control cable is routed. If it's very stiff due to lack of maintenance etc then that's one possible reason for it not working properly/reliably from the switch. If the cable gets properly jammed/breaks then the roof won't move until everythings taken apart and/or the cable is replaced
Thanks. Mine is earlier, 103. Do you think they're be any big difference on the sunroof motor? Didn't know there was a hidden clutch adjuster thing.
Wouldn't be surprised if there's various detail differences depending on year but i doubt there's much difference in the instructions. If you click the 'back to main menu' link at the bottom of that w124performance page you'll be able to select the earlier m103 model

OP
Silver 300te

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Thanks.

OP
Silver 300te

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Think it's a switch issue. Can't be anything wrong with the cables if I can manually operate the thing.

OP
Silver 300te

Silver 300te

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te, 1992, M103
Think it's a switch issue. Can't be anything wrong with the cables if I can manually operate the thing.

Solved by East Kilbride Sunroofs. It was the motor.

Top Bottom