w124 tank strainer

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
when i bought the 300d it had 3/4 of a tank of diesel already in it and i thought how kind, anyway i have been putting the odd 10er in but this week ran her down to a quarter and she died, 15 minutes later and she was fine, then died again on the next outing, looking under the bonnet the new inline filter i had fitted was jet black and completley empty as if she,d ran out of fuel, pulled the line from the tank and barely a trickle , so today removed the whole fuel thank which took around 3 hours as everything was ceased, nothing prepared me for the amount of black sludge that was inside the tank. this is the intank filter, no joke i think i got around 2kg of this black looking gunk out. absoloute horrid job and the reason the car was running bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 13

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Yes diesel bug.
Options wash tank out and eventually rinse it with a gallon of petrol to remove traces of water.
Now after having run veg and biodiesel for years I can recommend Startron Starbrite diesel enzyme treatment as the only bug killer worth using and this is simply because it kills the bug and dissolves slime in fuel system but its the only one that does not block filters up with dead bug/ slime , the enzyme in Startron lets the junk pass through the fuel system and burnt off in cylinders.
One bottle should sort you out and then a capful every month to keep on top of it.

OP
B

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes definatly a mess, all my new filters were no good so replaced again, washed her out with detergent followed by 1 gallon of petrol until everything run clean , will be adding starbrite for sure , still cant believe the amount of black gunge that was floating around the tank.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
What helps it keep running is the plastic bell shaped device at base of tank , the tank filter is sitting inside this and the return line feeds back into it so any fuel that gets returned is straightaway returning off to the engine.
This is why the old trick of swapping fuel and return hoses over up at the bulkhead where steel line meets rubber fuel line works so well.
Have you had the fuel level sender apart to clean out ?.

OP
B

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi doug i did wonder about that, how does it come apart? as it would make sense as everything is clean.

OP
B

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
brill didnt realise , my next job sorted

OP
B

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The sender came apart easily and it was full of the black gunk, all done now thyanks for that. next job lifters.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Have a search on the forum in the link I posted for info about the lifters

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom