W124 tickover too slow

Mark Atkins

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 1994 E220 W124 and at the moment the idle is very slow.
Being an auto it gets even slower when I put it into drive - so much so, that the engine now tends to stall when I'm stopped at the lights or at a junction.

I've had a look at the throttle linkages but can't work out how to increase the tickover..?

Any advice very welcome.

Regards

Mark

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
Looking at the throttle body itself, you will see that the mechanism stops against a setscrew. The setscrew screws through a lip on the side of the throttle body. On one side the throttle mechanism stops against this screw, and on the other side of the lip you will find a locknut that will accept either an 8 or a 10mm spanner. If you undo the locknut, the setscrew can be screwed further in to increase idle speed using a 3 or 4mm allen key on the side with the lock nut.

I just can't seem to picture the 220 throttle body now, so the directions as to the position of this screw are a little vague, but Malcolm may be able to help with a diagram...:D

Phil

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
If the idle speed has "adjusted itself" downwards, something else is usually going awry. If the idle is a little lumpy as well, it may be a vacuum leak, or the screw mentioned in the previous post may have worked loose...

I recommend adjusting it anyway, but if it creeps down again, you may have to look deeper into the situation.

OP
M

Mark Atkins

Reaction score
Thanks both. Will hunt down the adjustment screw and see if i can increase the tickover..

rgds

Mark

maska

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Looking at the throttle body itself, you will see that the mechanism stops against a setscrew. The setscrew screws through a lip on the side of the throttle body. On one side the throttle mechanism stops against this screw, and on the other side of the lip you will find a locknut that will accept either an 8 or a 10mm spanner. If you undo the locknut, the setscrew can be screwed further in to increase idle speed using a 3 or 4mm allen key on the side with the lock nut.

I just can't seem to picture the 220 throttle body now, so the directions as to the position of this screw are a little vague, but Malcolm may be able to help with a diagram...:D

Phil

A photo would be nice ! :confused:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
doubt there is a screw, because the idle is controlled electronically by the computer which controls both fuel and ignition on your car.

Is the problem there when engine is hot and when engine is cold ?

Does car drive OK ?

did this problem happen suddenly ? OR after some work done on car ?

where you based ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes as above no adjustment possible.

I do sell blink code fault code reader that will read and clear any fault codes for £15 including postage

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
If it has throttle linkages and a mechanically operated flap (as opposed to servo motor operated) the flap will need to stop against something when shut. That something is a setscrew in 99.9% of cases. Just make sure before you start fiddling with the electronics unnecessarily.

Top Bottom