W124 tyre bowl... spare wheel (saloons and estates)

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
HNY.

Do W124 cars come with spare tyre wheel inserts like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...129-SL-Facelift-280-320-500-600-/151200234668

I'd like one for my estate car, and wanted to know if this part would fit, I have 15 inch rims. I have a round metal MB fuel can that I want to start using. It comes with a butterfly bolt but I think it originates from a saloon car, and the bolt isn't long enough. Perhaps with a plastic insert, a bolt won't be needed.

If anyone has fabricated a bolt, I'd appreciate a photo. Perhaps I could have one bolt, made up to correct length.

Many thanks,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 17.00.30.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 17.00.30.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 60

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
tyre

Shev yes my saloon as one inside spare wheel ,as it screws down inside the wheel to lock it up. I would take a pic but the car is coverd up and i dont want to disturb it. If you know what i mean.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does not the estate have the provision for extra seats and no hole.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does not the estate have the provision for extra seats and no hole.

Sorry but I'm lost...

My estate has the extra mini seats (flip up) ones.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is not your spare in the side, or am I thinking of a 123.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, share is in the left hand side, in the estate section.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
http://www.2phast.com/500e/techdocs/Reserve-canister.jpg

It looks to me like you're supposed to get a new bolt to hold the spare in place and use the old one to bolt the jerry can into the wheel i.e. the bolt for the jerry can screws into the end of the new bolt for the spare wheel

Pretty simple thing to make if you haven't got the fasteners... a chunk of barstock drilled and tapped, some studding (threaded rod) and loctite. If you get properly stuck i can make you one but will need dimensions

Personally i don't like the idea of just trying to wedge a fuel container in place, at the very least i'd have thought it'd drive you insane by rattling?

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are right, that is the official way. MB don't sell the bolt anymore, but I'll set up a search on ebay.de

One other thing I should add, the can I have is from a diesel car. How easy is it to 'wash' diesel out 100%?

If I don't have luck on the DE site, I'd very much like to try your method. No idea what barstock is, would it be a neat job? I'd really appreciate your guidance on this. Where are you based?

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.2phast.com/500e/techdocs/Reserve-canister.jpg

It looks to me like you're supposed to get a new bolt to hold the spare in place and use the old one to bolt the jerry can into the wheel i.e. the bolt for the jerry can screws into the end of the new bolt for the spare wheel

Pretty simple thing to make if you haven't got the fasteners... a chunk of barstock drilled and tapped, some studding (threaded rod) and loctite. If you get properly stuck i can make you one but will need dimensions

Personally i don't like the idea of just trying to wedge a fuel container in place, at the very least i'd have thought it'd drive you insane by rattling?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do not have to wash it out at all, any diesel dregs will go away and it does no harm.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you do an image search for the part number you get this http://www.w124-board.de/t-modelle-f172/stationswagen-diesel-300td-turbo-pueblobeige-sahara-t66298/p22.html (relevant pics about 1/2 way down the page)

Barstock is solid round metal bar, i'd drill and a tap a chunk to create the head of the 'bolt' used to hold the spare in place. The rest of it is just some studding and some stamped washers to locate things. I'd machine the lips on the washers too as for the number needed it's faster than physically shaping them. I'm in Bexley but any decent fabricator or machinist could make the bits you need, all they'd need to know is the diameter of the hole through the middle of the jerry can and the length the bolt needs to be (width of jerry can + wheel backspacing) if you can't cut a length of studding down yourself

I'd be more bothered about how quickly modern petrol 'goes off' than a little diesel residue personally... back when the 124 was in production petrol kept for eons but these days it can go 'stale' fairly quickly as owners of classics have found out when laying up cars over winter. Not an issue in the UK yet but in Europe and the US where unleaded can have 10% ethanol (ours is currently a max of 5% but E10 is supposed to be introduced at some point for environmental reasons) the stuff has caused a lot of damage to some boats and classic cars as ethanol is both corrosive and hygroscopic. Personally I wouldn't keep fuel in it 'just in case' unless you regularly empty the can into the car or lawnmower etc and refill it with fresh stuff

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you sir, very informative. I'd like to book in and pay you a visit. I agree about not keeping fuel in the tank, just keeping it on board for 'just in case'. I never let the gauge fall below 1/4 tank, for fear on a 20 old year tank harbouring horrible bits at its bottom.

Could you message me your address along with a likely end cost of this work? Monday's are usually good for me. Could this be done 'while I wait' in a local pub or similar, or would the car need to be with you for a few days?

Many thanks,
SY

If you do an image search for the part number you get this http://www.w124-board.de/t-modelle-f172/stationswagen-diesel-300td-turbo-pueblobeige-sahara-t66298/p22.html (relevant pics about 1/2 way down the page)

Barstock is solid round metal bar, i'd drill and a tap a chunk to create the head of the 'bolt' used to hold the spare in place. The rest of it is just some studding and some stamped washers to locate things. I'd machine the lips on the washers too as for the number needed it's faster than physically shaping them. I'm in Bexley but any decent fabricator or machinist could make the bits you need, all they'd need to know is the diameter of the hole through the middle of the jerry can and the length the bolt needs to be (width of jerry can + wheel backspacing) if you can't cut a length of studding down yourself

I'd be more bothered about how quickly modern petrol 'goes off' than a little diesel residue personally... back when the 124 was in production petrol kept for eons but these days it can go 'stale' fairly quickly as owners of classics have found out when laying up cars over winter. Not an issue in the UK yet but in Europe and the US where unleaded can have 10% ethanol (ours is currently a max of 5% but E10 is supposed to be introduced at some point for environmental reasons) the stuff has caused a lot of damage to some boats and classic cars as ethanol is both corrosive and hygroscopic. Personally I wouldn't keep fuel in it 'just in case' unless you regularly empty the can into the car or lawnmower etc and refill it with fresh stuff

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't need the car, just the jerry can if you can't give me the relevant dimensions (dia of the hole through it and it's overall width). Not something i can do while you wait (there's no decent pubs near me anyway) as i've typically got several months worth of work lined up most of the time... it's one of those things i'd fit in as and when for example the next time i'm maching something from a suitable chunk of bar i'd make the bolt head etc

If you're happy waiting for a few weeks once i've got the can (or dimensions) then if you can post a pic of what bits you've got i'll have a better idea of what you need (if you've got the long bolt and washers for the jerry can it should just be a new fastener for the spare wheel) and i'll pm you a price and contact details

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I have a reserve tank in all of my cars and a length of M8 threaded bar comes in real handy. I bought ten of these tanks about seven years ago for less than you'd pay for one !!

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a reserve tank in all of my cars and a length of M8 threaded bar comes in real handy. I bought ten of these tanks about seven years ago for less than you'd pay for one !!

Could you explain your method please with the M8 bar?

Thanks.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I bought a length of M8 threaded bar, cut it to a length that would hold in the tank when its in the wheel and welded a ''T' handle to one end, fitted the big MB washer and screwed the whole lot up.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought a length of M8 threaded bar, cut it to a length that would hold in the tank when its in the wheel and welded a ''T' handle to one end, fitted the big MB washer and screwed the whole lot up.

My local screwfix have M8 threaded bar. I have a hack saw so can cut it to the required length. Need to get my hands on a welder. Is a T handle something you fabricate or something you can buy off the shelf? A spark plug spanner came to mind when you mentioned this. And the big MB washer, is that the one which usually holes the spare wheel in place?

Apols for the novice questions, I am learning.
With best,

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Basically you need to extend the thread on one of these ....

$_12.JPG

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Basically you need to extend the thread on one of these ....

$_12.JPG

Righto, I'm with you now. Final question, did you require any sort of rubber collar for the centre hole of the fuel can? It looks quite large, compared to the M8 threaded bolt. OR when its all tightened up, it holes and doesn't rattle?

With best wishes,

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Righto, I'm with you now. Final question, did you require any sort of rubber collar for the centre hole of the fuel can? It looks quite large, compared to the M8 threaded bolt. OR when its all tightened up, it holes and doesn't rattle?

With best wishes,

No the clamping pressure from the bolt is enough to hold it all.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom