W124 windows and wiper fault...related?

bobdixon

Reaction score
Morning everybody, I`m new so please be gentle! :DI`ve just purchased a CE 320 and the windscreen wipers threw their hand in last night, as did the electric windows. I haven't got round to buying a workshop manual for it yet so I`m fishing in the dark when it comes to checking relays etc.
Any clues as to where the fault might lie? The wipers are completely dead; ie all the settings are inoperable, as are all four windows.
Bob

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum Bob :D:D

This could just be a fuse fault or poor connections on the fuse holder contacts,,I would get some non drying switch from Maplins and spray them all, and rotating them in the holders

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Welcome to the forum Bob :D:D

This could just be a fuse fault or poor connections on the fuse holder contacts,,I would get some non drying switch from Maplins and spray them all, and rotating them in the holders

Me too.

Bob

Normally happens when it's raining/damp.

OP
B

bobdixon

Reaction score
Me too.

Bob

Normally happens when it's raining/damp.

Can life be that simple?:D I hope so! Well, I`ll give it a try, the fuses did look a bit dry and furry so you never know....it was like a monsoon when the wipers packed up , which made driving home quite a challenge, so perhaps the ingress of water had something to do with it.
I`ll report back in due course.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The torpedo type fuses on these models can corrode at their ends especialy if the fuse elements are the cheaper aluminium type, if you find the ones on your car to be so, I suggest that you aquire some replacements preferably with copper or brass elements and blitz the entire fuse box.

Make sure that the contacts in the fuse carriers are clear of any deposits from the old fuses, scraping them around the hole that contacts the fuse with a scotchbrite pad seems to work well.

A little waxoyl or silicone grease on the contacts will help keep corrosion at bay, but will not be a substitute for a well fitting box lid.

Do make sure the lid and seal are fitted properly it is a major job to replace the entire fuse box assembly, a process which will be the only cure for random electrical faults if the box is left unsealed over winter.

Having manufactured, repaired and played with lots of electrical/electronic stuff for many years I can report that the best thing to do with any form of chemical contact cleaner is leave it in the can, protective stuff yes, "cleaner" no, WD40 never.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom