1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W126 1986 300SE

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Walshy12345, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Walshy12345

Walshy12345 Senior Member

Hi,

The chrome on my fro bumper is starting to rust and peel off and the chrome on the back bumper looks faded, i either need to get them re-hromed or replaced, MB want over £2000 to replace them is their an easier/cheaper option?

i live in Surrey

hope you can help

Regards

mike

2. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes W202
    Find someone who will strip and re-chrome the parts, it will be much cheaper. I know someone local but you're not local to me unfortunately.

Failing this get the bits from a breakers where the chrome is still in good condition which would be the cheapest.

3. syncropaddy

syncropaddy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    .... too many cars!
    In a word ... No! The chrome on the W126 bumpers rusts from below so destroying the metal as it bubbles up making re chroming impossible. Over the years I have collected a full set of secondhand chromes from various E Bay sites but even then some of the parts are not great.
    Fitting and removing these parts is a messy job as the fittings rust even more and usually break when you try to remove them. MB will kindly sell you a bumper fitting kit for both bumpers. Its a messy business .....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. ianrandom

ianrandom Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
    The fitting and fixings kit ends up at near £100 if I remember correctly. Its an expensive business.
    Oddly the gen 1 chrome doesn't seem to do this rusting from the underneath. Not helpful to your current problem, but when you get replacements its best to coat them on the underside with some rust preventative.

5. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    How ingenious, so Mercedes were practicing back then on how to get the rust under the chrome,,, their experience must have helped for the bodies that were to follow ;):D

6. Multi-Tech

Multi-Tech Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Which ever has fuel in it!!!
    I have a spare 126 front bumper at my workshop. I can check the chrome on that for you?

7. OP
    Walshy12345

hi

any luck with the w126 bumper

mjawalsh@aol.com 07951 655077

8. Multi-Tech

Multi-Tech Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Which ever has fuel in it!!!
    Sides are ok but the middle piece has already started rusting. Could be repaired

9. discoking

discoking Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    '92 300SL-24, '85 230ce
    I enquired about getting the rear bumper on my 123 coupe re-chromed but everywhere I rang wanted an absolute fortune,it would have been a lot cheaper to buy a new bumper from MB had I not found a replacement from a kind member on here.

10. OP
    Walshy12345

Hi

from what you say your bumper seems OK and i would like to have it, what do i need to do?

mike