w126 electric window (poxy little plastic thing)

Hibbo

Reaction score
Hello hello,

Can I get a new poxy little plastic thing, or can anyone suggest a fix/bodge I can fabricate?

As the missus was driving, I decided to ponce around and sit in the back whilst she chauffeured me about. When we got home the ****** window wouldn't go up. After listening to her (completely correct) comments that if I'd have sat in the front none of this would have happened, I took the door card off (after having to drill a screw out :mad:) and found that the arm had come off of the runners. I have put it back on, but the little plastic thing that stops it jumping out is broken in two (see photos). Will I be able to order this part, or can anyone think of another fix?

Cheers

Attachments

• Image063.jpg
    Image063.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Image065.jpg
    Image065.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 47

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
If I recall correctly its on a rivet and you have to buy the whole mechanism.

It happened to my rear Window on my SEL and I made a replacement with a piece of hardwood, drilled and then used a pop rivet to replace the original which I bored out.

Bit of grease on the wood and runners. Can't recall if it lasted the distance or I bought a brand new mechanism on ebay made in Taiwan? £20. Think oit lasted and I replaced the passenger front with new mech. Check out ebay if its all too much effort.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
correct, you can't buy it from mb :(

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
On a C class,(W202) that looks to be fixable, I’m thinking of a piece of metal of the same dimensions that would be riveted in place so as to do the same job as the broken part, but not sure if we are looking at the same part here?

Dec
R.jpg

T.jpg

Picture source, at the bottom of this page… http://homepage.eircom.net/~decdec/myweb2/new_page_1.htm

Edit…Just read Stuarts post again and missed what he wrote, I think metal would be better as the one in my picture is mainly metal, the plastic is just for quietness of operation.

Last edited:
OP
Hibbo

Hibbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Dec, I think we are looking at different parts here. On my w126, there is an arm that comes down from a sector gear that's driven by the motor. The end of the arm has a wheel on it that sits in between the two rails, (it pushes up on the top one to close the window, and down on the bottom one to open). The broken plastic bit stops the wheel from jumping out from between the two when there's no force on it (the tendency of this arm is to spring towards you). I'll take some more pohoteys tomorrow.

I think I'll try and glue/melt the two pieces back together before I try anything else.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As you have the 2 parts,,it would not take long to cast a new one,,some of the potting compounds might do it

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202

Attachments

• WindowKit.jpg
    WindowKit.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 18

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
almost certain you can buy that little plastic bit for pence of MB

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
In theory you’re probably right but in practice there are just too many components that make up any one particular unit. MB may take the view that there is no profit in such small items and so the leave you with no option but to buy the complete part.

However if an obliging dealer could be found then the part might well be obtainable and as you suggest, its worth making further inquiries.

Dec

OP
Hibbo

Hibbo

Reaction score
See here…
http://www.atpartsonline.com/product-en-447275-2043760-Auto+Pro.+Window+Sliding+Jaw+Repair+Kit+Mercedes+Benz+W126+280+300+350+420+560+SE+SEL+SD+SDL+4+Doors.html#

See also… same outfit on Ebay… http://www.ioffer.com/selling/atpartsonline?search_query=w126&x=14&y=10

You can wedge the window shut with a couple of wooden batons, cut to size, this will secure the car while you sort out the problem.

Dec

Thanks Dec, that's exactly the bit I need (although it doesn't appear to be the same bit highlighted on their drawing). It gives a part number so I'll try the parts desk at the local dealer on Monday morning.

Cheers!

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
In theory you’re probably right but in practice there are just too many components that make up any one particular unit. MB may take the view that there is no profit in such small items and so the leave you with no option but to buy the complete part.

However if an obliging dealer could be found then the part might well be obtainable and as you suggest, its worth making further inquiries.

Dec

not so Rob, because its on a splayed rivet

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Stuart, if Hibbo buys the part as in linked will that mean he will have to splay what seems to be a rivet that come with the part?

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good one dec in finding that link :D:D

OP
Hibbo

Hibbo

Reaction score
Stuart, if Hibbo buys the part as in linked will that mean he will have to splay what seems to be a rivet that come with the part?

Dec

Hmmmm, that is a metaphorical fly in my proverbial ointment. :(

It does indeed look like I would have to drill out the old one, then splay the new one. This doesn't look like an easy thing to do in situ (at the side of the road to boot...) so I think I will have a go at bodging the old one back together.

It's pretty annoying as the metal parts (that take all the load) are fine, it's just this stupid plastic thing, whose only job is to stop it popping out, that's broken.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that when you run the mechanism all the way down, just before it stops, the arm moves slightly in to the door (perfectly in line with the window) yet when it is travelling it is pointing further out (ie trying to ping out from the rail). Is this correct or is this a problem?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
easy to do, just remove mech and gring rivett flat and remove old part. place new on in the correct way round and peen over with ball hammer whilst supporting other side. have one on shelf until last week.

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Hmmmm, that is a metaphorical fly in my proverbial ointment. :(

It does indeed look like I would have to drill out the old one, then splay the new one. This doesn't look like an easy thing to do in situ (at the side of the road to boot...) so I think I will have a go at bodging the old one back together.

QUOTE]

No you won't get away with it that easy. The regulators are messy bu**ers to put back in, lots of chafed hands, but only way I suspect.

You could try drilling rivet with finest drill and enlarging slowly, having put a block behind. Then using a poprivet gun once you've made a part. The plastic piece wont mend and even if you think it has, the pressure from the pop rivet will break it again. Piece of hardwood/plastic, and two washers on pop rivet from memory was my fix.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom