W126 Starter Motor Replacement

RickyJ

Reaction score
Hello to all

I'm new to Mercedes ownership and unfortunately one of the first jobs I've got to tackle is replacing the Starter motor on my W126 500SEC. After only having the car for about a week, it got steadily more difficult to start over the course of a single day and ended up being stranded in the Car Park at work and having the AA out to recover the car.

I've worked out whereabouts the Starter is hidden inside the engine bay but the question I have is, is it a straight-forward, jack the car up and remove 3 or 4 bolts type of Job or is it more involved than this? I've replaced starters before but on decidely less complicated cars - Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Ricky

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
R

RickyJ

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm - That picture gives me an idea where the bolts are - Even if they are covered in oil..

twail

Reaction score
Would it be as straight forward as this for a w124 e200 starter replacement?
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
R

RickyJ

Reaction score
Well, not the easiest job in the world but I got the starter out. You need a 10mm hex socket to get the 2 retaining bolts out and the top one is a real pain to get to - There is hardly any space to turn a wrench and one of the exhaust downpipes is in the way which doesn't help. The other thing is that to actually get the starter motor out I had to undo the nearside steering arm as otherwise there isn't enough room to remove it. Hope this helps anyone else having to do this job.

Ricky

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, not the easiest job in the world but I got the starter out. You need a 10mm hex socket to get the 2 retaining bolts out and the top one is a real pain to get to - There is hardly any space to turn a wrench and one of the exhaust downpipes is in the way which doesn't help. The other thing is that to actually get the starter motor out I had to undo the nearside steering arm as otherwise there isn't enough room to remove it. Hope this helps anyone else having to do this job.

Ricky

Pleased that you did it,,yes that exhaust was worrying me when I saw it,,still not something that you do every day :D

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom