A

audiojohn0

Reaction score
Website
www.audiowarehouse.ie
Your Mercedes
W140 CL420/1998/m119. W111 280SE/M130
afternoon Malcolm

we are having great weather over here, for November! in between showers i located the pump up over the passenger wheel arch. it does not always run on each closing activation so i presume it has some sort of inbuilt reserve?
when it runs, it does so as you say for about 5 secs then stops and shortly after runs again in what sounds like the reverse direction. Also, now if you rely on the autoclose for the doors it will do so but moments later releases them so you have to fully close the door manually. i see that each element is isolated with its own port on the pump and fourth port is clearly the exhaust port running along the rear quarter opening just below the tail light. any other pointers appreciated - do the pumps become problematic? what is the techniques for removing the pipe unions?

thanks again
JOHN

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ignore the pump both pumping and sucking,it does this to keep moisture out of the system, it will do it more so when there is a leak and I think that an element has failed on one of the doors or boot. When the leak becomes too bad then then is insufficient pressure to close the doors and the CAN will eventually turn the posts off

It would be a good idea to have something to block each port on the pump off in turn, that way you can find the line that has the leak,,,,to remove the pipes is best done with a 7mm I think it is open ended spanner and lever up.

Ideally for make a blanking off pipe is to get a length op pipe from a breaker with a plug on and this can be pushed in the pump socket.

OP
A

audiojohn0

Reaction score
Website
www.audiowarehouse.ie
Your Mercedes
hi Malcolm

have not had time to look at this of late or check for leaks on the three devices but, i dont believe that is the problem. after a fuse reset, the pump operates a number of times on activation of doors or bonnet but generally releases after a few seconds and after a number of operations ceases to run at all when something is opened. i have established that the 12volt supply is continuous and that one of the 4 other wires seems to be a "technical earth". i presumed possibly wrongly that the other three might be activations from either door or bootlid but voltage and impedance tests did not isolate these fully with the exception of one that seemed to consistently change impedance with activation of the boot switch. are these direct activation from the doors and bootlid or is there a management system in between? at this stage, would a diagnostics check reveal anything?

thanks, john

OP
A

audiojohn0

Reaction score
Website
www.audiowarehouse.ie
Your Mercedes
hi Malcolm

i just disconnected the ports and check each device by literally sucking thro the pipes and could detect no loss of vacuum. i also decided to study the cycle of the pump and noticed that on activation of the boot close switch the pump runs but is putting out air on the trunk connection, applying vacuum on the doors and the free port. i mentioned before that after stopping it seem to run with what sound like a reverse motion and on this phase applies vacuum to the trunk conn.
as this is all mechanical function i presume its as it should be. devices apart though there must be a valve mechanism in the pump assy to retain vacuum after running?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The pump will run for some time after closing the doors, the pump also goes through a blowing cycle to expel any moisture in the system.

If the pump still turns off for the soft close on the boot, but the rest is OK you can reduce the pressure that stops the pump from turning the boot function off.

My own car, the pump shut off the boot working about 10 times, I was about to lower the pressure in mine when it righted itself :D

Younger

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl420/1998/4.2
Pull the fuse in the trunk out and wait 1 min and put it back and try, its in the middle top f 9 I think it is marked
Newbie here. Had same boot problem yesterday and saw this solution here. Sorted straight away.
Many thanks,
Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Newbie here. Had same boot problem yesterday and saw this solution here. Sorted straight away.
Many thanks,
Mark

So pleased, and that you did a search first :D:D

Benzetto

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140 S500C
Hello Malcom! I have same problem on my w140 S500C regard windows.i will try to do that reset you talked about,but in case isnt working you said at the begging that you may have the procedure and specs if they are out of adjusment.would you provide those so i can fix my issue,ill be very thankful!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Malcom! I have same problem on my w140 S500C regard windows.i will try to do that reset you talked about,but in case isnt working you said at the begging that you may have the procedure and specs if they are out of adjusment.would you provide those so i can fix my issue,ill be very thankful!

The reset always works, do try it.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom