W140 drop links

C

C180 Chris

Hi all,

I have decided to replace the two front drop links on my W140 as they are rattling a little.

I am having a real trial after struggling to get the bottom nut off, and have resorted to grinding it off!! Actually its still not free and i have packed up for the night to resume in the morning.

Looking at the top nut in the recess i think that it is going to be more "fun " to get that off.

My question's are..............

What size nut is it and do i need to use a slim fit socket to get it?

Has anyone done this job and got any tips to speed the other side along?

All the best,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi all,

I have decided to replace the two front drop links on my W140 as they are rattling a little.

I am having a real trial after struggling to get the bottom nut off, and have resorted to grinding it off!! Actually its still not free and i have packed up for the night to resume in the morning.

Looking at the top nut in the recess i think that it is going to be more "fun " to get that off.

My question's are..............

What size nut is it and do i need to use a slim fit socket to get it?

Has anyone done this job and got any tips to speed the other side along?

All the best,
You could get a can of the plumbers freezer, the shock should release it

OP
C

C180 Chris

Thanks Malcolm, Might give that a shot on the other side.

The top nut in the recess looks like an 18mm socket, the bottom one was a 19mm?? Strange having two different sizes.
I just hope that the top one gives in before i do!!:D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks Malcolm, Might give that a shot on the other side.

The top nut in the recess looks like an 18mm socket, the bottom one was a 19mm?? Strange having two different sizes.
I just hope that the top one gives in before i do!!:D:D

One of the techies said how they did it a few weeks back,,but I cant remember what they said

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
if i remember rightly chris, the top nut is on the end of a taper so hopefully will allow you to get the nut off before you release it from the hub with a heavy hammer and drift. can't remember the size but i think a 'normal' socket will fit fine.

i guess you struggled with the bottom one because as soon as the nut is loosened the whole ball joint turns? with just a 5 or 6mm hex or perhaps a t40 to hold it still? no easy way to deal with it other than a good clean of the thread first for good luck and a good squirt of a proprietry freezer product like wurths rost off ice or similar (leave for at least 5 mins after squirting), also pack those cleaned threads with coppaslip before you undo. if you can force the ball joint apart you could use mole grips to counterhold the ball. of course in the workshop we can use impact guns and such. cutting it off is very time consuming as you have found.

good luck.

OP
C

C180 Chris

Thanks Malcolm and AP,

Got it sorted now!!

The top nut is an 18mm and came off no problem at all. That awful bottom nut was a 19mm and had to be ground down to nothing before it gave up.

New parts (MB) fitted without any problems other than that they come without new nuts, one set of nuts later and all is well....now for the other side!!

Many thanks for the advice guy's.:D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom