W140 ecu

wabyn

Reaction score
Our W140 S500 cranks but will not start and the central locking will not respond to the remote. Is the problem with the ignition module? Any advic will be appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, the fault will be the the immobilizer is on if the remote locking is not working,,your should be the flip out key,,hold it in front of a digital camera and see if you can see the beam

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 13
OP
W

wabyn

Reaction score
Thanks for that. We have 2 new remotes and the car doesn't respond to either. I have tried the digital camera trick and they are both working. Thank you for your confirmation.
As the problem was affecting both the remotes and the starting I thought it could be the Anti Theft Alarm module which I understand to be located under the rear seat. I believe it also isolates the fuel pump hence the non statring. Is this correct?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Is this S500 a new car to you?? has it been running etc?

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many are taking the alarms out now what year is the car please

OP
W

wabyn

Reaction score
We have had this car for a couple of years and it has been running well, regularly serviced and driven most days. It is a 1994 model and done 220,000 kms.

OP
W

wabyn

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to get back. I am waiting to get the car back. The roadside assist people took it to an auto electrician who had the ECU tested and says it is faulty. I will get the car home on Monday and will try the resync process. Iwill let you know how it goes. I just hope that more damage has not been done testing the ECU.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
IF the ECU is faulty then you will have to buy a new one from mercedes as it will be coded to the chassis.
Your car needs star diagnostics before you do anything else to see whats actually going on.

jib

OP
W

wabyn

Reaction score
That is an interesting comment. I was not aware that the 140 was any different to other models. I have had this situation with other vehicles and have just replaced the ECU sometimes directly from Mercedes and sometimes from Bosch. I have also used second hand ECU's.
To follow up with the problem with the remote. Once the ECU is unplugged the remote workes fine but not when it is connected.
I will need to check with Mercedes Australia re needing a coded ECU. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
W

wabyn

Reaction score
Once again sorry for taking so long to get back.
I have just received a new ECU from a dealer in Japan, there were no new ones in Australia, bolted it in and the car started first turn of the key.
The myth that they are coded to the chassis is just that, a myth.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom