W140 Ignition Key Tumbler Problem

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know how to remove the ignition key tumbler for a W140 vehicle - attached photo. That metal collar on right side of the photo protects the ignition key tumbler. Tumbler internals actually already fell out since the front die cast part wore out. Thanks.:D

Attachments

• 090411.IgnitionLockFailure2.jpg
    090411.IgnitionLockFailure2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 178

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will have a look, not that much info on WIS.

I hope that they switch was turned to 1 or 2 before the old one came out, or it will be impossible to shift the steering lock

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Malcolm, thanks for your quick reply. The ignition key stuck in the lock this morning & would only turn from 1-2, but not fully engaged in 2. Steering is not locked & am not moving it.

Replaced the ignition switch before, and I guess 1993 cars will begin to have their ignition switches start failing. The problem appeared to be the front of the tumbler (die cast metal) wore away so it jamed the key & prevented it from starting the car & turning enough to remove the key. Now that I've pulled the entire ignition lock assembly out I've been able to see what caused the failure (I believe).

Now I've got to remove the collar to get the tumbler out & see if I have to order a new tumbler, then have a locksmith use my tumblers to put in a replacement lock. Problem I'm having is the metal security collar coming off. I may just cut it & weld back on if the WIS' statement that once you install it is permanently stuck in place??

Don't want to destroy if capable of being removed by design. Thank you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you like the factory install / remove instructions

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Would be very helpful Malcolm. Thank you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it to you :D

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm. The material was great, but am at point that the collar has to come off for me to remove the tumbler parts that haven't already fallen out & to put new cylinder back in. Material doesn't seem to go this far. I've seen some material that says it cannot come off, but am not convinced yet. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Had to cut the collar & pry it off. Am pretty sure that I could not push the metal spring loaded piece in from the steering lock side of the assembly.

Luckily did not damage the ignition housing. Lockset tumbler is irreparably damaged w/ the wear on the die cast head material. Will have to get another tumbler. The tumbler was able to be removed from the plastic housing by using a wire to push the spring loaded metal in & the tumbler dropped out of the housing.

FYI everyone.

Thank you Malcolm for your help & concern!

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Could not really understand the tumbler design until I removed. Have reinstalled now - procedure would be to align the tumblers to position 1 using your key, where you can look from inside the plastic housing up at the tumbler - once you see that small slit, use a very small jewelers screwdriver to push that metal in.

The metal spring action will only be able to push in if the key is inserted and turned slightly right (position 1).

Once you pull inward, the tumbler will fall towards the plastic ignition housing - but you will have to sacrafice 1 of your keys to grind the sides down so the key can pass through the metal collar.

This procedure will save the collar (and ignition housing) from being destroyed by prying it off. Collar's only function it appears is to prevent thieves from easily accessing the tumblers for the car.

Benz really protected the W140 against thieves - takes quite a bit of time to fool around with this well-designed ignition assembly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the feed back and glad the you are sorting it out :D

gotaxi

New Registration
Reaction score
hello Televison.
You sent dbmoylan factory instructions on ingniton lock tumbler replacement, any chance you can send a copy to me?
clayton@gotaxi.ca
My '93 300SD has tumbler problems. the key is now in position 1 with the battery disconnected. I dare not turn it off for fear of not being able to turn it ever again. Now what?
THANKS

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have it sir :D:D

bubbasbrown

New Registration
Reaction score
Dam,, ing locks

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...722.366622&CT=F&cat=19B&SID=46&SGR=105&SGN=05

These parts shown are all replacable, and MB will supply the correct new tumbler

;)hello my name is gerry was just brousing when i cam across this post,,, i was having trouble under standing the, ins and out..of this system,,but with your link,, soon broke it down nicely,,,,new to forum or at least as a member,, I myself have 96 w202 20lt,, lpg,,great job,, realy clean one, had to go to england to get it,, would be hard to get a older car in ireland with such small miles,, well,,thank again for your very useful input..
yours thankful,,,gerry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
;)hello my name is gerry was just brousing when i cam across this post,,, i was having trouble under standing the, ins and out..of this system,,but with your link,, soon broke it down nicely,,,,new to forum or at least as a member,, I myself have 96 w202 20lt,, lpg,,great job,, realy clean one, had to go to england to get it,, would be hard to get a older car in ireland with such small miles,, well,,thank again for your very useful input..
yours thankful,,,gerry

Welcome to the forum Gerry :D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hello Televison.
You sent dbmoylan factory instructions on ingniton lock tumbler replacement, any chance you can send a copy to me?
clayton@gotaxi.ca
My '93 300SD has tumbler problems. the key is now in position 1 with the battery disconnected. I dare not turn it off for fear of not being able to turn it ever again. Now what?
THANKS

I have sent you the correct 140 lock details

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Televison, could I also get the lock info? My s350d ignition lock just checked out on me. bosco78@gmail.com
Thanks!

I have sent it and welcome to the forum,,you can remove your address in edit before 4 hours is up

viteks

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W115200D,W115220D,W123 280E,W123280CE,W140600SEL
Hello, I have the same problem with my V12. I need to separate the black part. It would be so kind of you if you can send me your usefull manual to my email vitek.saiver@email.cz. Many thanks in advanced. V.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom