W140 shock absorber

mr_w140

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to replace the rear shock absorber on my s500 w140. Its a T reg late model saloon with SLS. How can I find out the part number required as Mercedes do not help with part numbers.

Thanks in advance..

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Post up your chassis number, or, ask mecedes for a price and get them to email you the quote, it will have the pat number on it.

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
Post up your chassis number, or, ask mecedes for a price and get them to email you the quote, it will have the pat number on it.

My chassis number is: WDB1400512A420736

I will contact Mercedes and ask for email quote. If anyone can help then that would be great...Thank you!

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
You'll need to replace the other side of the same axle as well!

Thanks for your reply. I showed it to my mechanic and the noise is coming only from the driver's side rear shock. The passenger side has no noise and seems fine. May I respectfully ask, what would be the reason for changing them both under these circumstances?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Time/usage will affect the performance characteristics of all mechanical components and by adding a new component offside will not match the same characteristics of the existing nearside resulting in stability issues especially at higher speeds, ask your mechanic again I'm sure he'll advise the same.

Ask away anytime, there's no such thing as a silly question.

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
Time/usage will affect the performance characteristics of all mechanical components and by adding a new component offside will not match the same characteristics of the existing nearside resulting in stability issues especially at higher speeds, ask your mechanic again I'm sure he'll advise the same.

Ask away anytime, there's no such thing as a silly question.

Thanks, I will ask my mechanic about the stability issues, absolutely mate, makes sense....

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Not with SLS struts.
Agreed. Not required with SLS or ABC.

It would appear that I stand corrected by my better informed peers on the forum, my sincere apologies to the OP and the forum for my erroneous advice, I shall in future read the content of posters before responding.:oops:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It would appear that I stand corrected by my better informed peers on the forum, my sincere apologies to the OP and the forum for my erroneous advice, I shall in future read the content of posters before responding.:oops:
The reasoning behind it is that over time the oil degrades inside the strut hence the characteristics of the damping will be different between a new strut and an old one.
With SLS and ABC the oil is common to all struts and pumped in a closed filtered circuit.

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score

No worries at all. We all live and learn from each other. The main thing is having the intention and willingness to help each other out....that is absolutely priceless...all the best to you!

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
The reasoning behind it is that over time the oil degrades inside the strut hence the characteristics of the damping will be different between a new strut and an old one.
With SLS and ABC the oil is common to all struts and pumped in a closed filtered circuit.

Thank you for the clarity, much appreciate it!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom