W163 2001 270CDi Rear Wheel Carrier

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
This is going to be a Malcolm thread I think, so I have now retrofitted my used rear wheel carrier. After a lot of puffing, grunting and hurt body parts of varying positions around the body. My luck is that the rear suspension has been uprated already for towing so the required stiffening plates either side of the chassis were already there. Took them off and had them re powdercoated. New Nuts & Bolts of the required length and thread have been used all over. now come the problematic part. There are only three lights that need to be worried about. The two number plate lights on the lets call it a plastic shield that needs to have a new number plate it of a square one and the new high level 3rd stop light. Cut a long story short there is a single plug under the hinge side and three plugs that emerge out of the tubing at the top for the plastic cover bit.

1) does MB make the need harness and is it plug and play. This is the car side ?
2) looking at the electronic diagram for the rear wheel carrier has made it as clear as concrete. I see the bit that it refers too, but might as well be speaking urdu via a Russian translator in other words to me it is about 5 miles above my head.

3) If such a harness exists it would exit the bottom of the car left side looking from back behind the bumper.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Ian :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will take a look on this but the last time I found nothing on this wheel carrier

OP
I

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
Malcolm I know you helped before now I have EPC/WIS from Mercedes it doesn't give info out on the retrofitting of said carrier it is just the interpretation of the wiring diagram that stuffs me up. So the carrier is there in the Electric wiring diagram it just double dutch to me and I speak Dutch too :lol:. Ian

OP
I

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
Okay so after looking at this problem for a while and using the EPC/WIS there isn't anything about retrofitting the carrier. However, there is some stuff in the WIS about connectors and such in there is a description of location of connecting plugs etc and two refer to the Spare wheel Carrier. So here is the way, the only wires that are attached through the stainless pipe goes from the top bar which holds the new number plate and thus 2 number plate lights and 1 for the LED high level 3rd stop light.

They are coloured brown, orange and white. at the end is a waterproof connector. There is a small about 7 or 8 inches a supplied loom with the Carrier that comes in the kit is not sold as a part number or separate from the kit. Behind the from the back left hand trim cover THE BIG ONE, there are two connectors in the loom 1 is a small three wired connector about 1/2" wide and 5/8 long againe with the same colours that is the connector for the carrier. So if like me you dont have said loom piece, you need to make one up. As it is exposed under the floor I have tinned the wire, fitted lucas round connectors and finished with shrink tube (with glue) it is then waterproof and muck proof. Hope this may be of help to someone else.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom