W170 SLK roof problem

Bustermou

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 C200K
2001 SLK 200K 6 Speed Manual

Hello Malcolm,

My roof seems to be sticking most of the time when trying to stow it in the boot, but a firm thump to the roof at the windscreen meeting point seems to cure the problem.

I am offering the car for sale and I would like to rectify this sporadic problem, would you be as so kind as to email me your papers on adjustment?

djronski@aol.co.uk

Many thanks Malcolm.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have sent you a couple of papers but do not think that this will help much on this, I would do what I do and lubricate all moving parts with PTFE, it is safe and will not mark anything

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Stop the opening proceedure half way and find the various screws that release the headliner. Once that's out the way you will see the mechanism. The two cables will likely need a little adjustment. Remove the clips and pull the cable outer a couple of notches and refit the clips. It's self explanatory once the headliner is out of the way.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Stop the opening proceedure half way and find the various screws that release the headliner. Once that's out the way you will see the mechanism. The two cables will likely need a little adjustment. Remove the clips and pull the cable outer a couple of notches and refit the clips. It's self explanatory once the headliner is out of the way.

EXACTLY what he said ^^^^

I did one last week for a new customer, MB had quoted 1 hour just to look at it...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all of the above I can supply the info to take down the liner in the roof

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Malcolm - just got to say a big thank you for your knowledge so freely given on this forum. You put a lot of time and effort into helping others - much appreciated.

I have learnt a huge amount of info from you, and from other contributors here. Some of it is just stored away for the future, but a lot of it has been preventive medicine, which has helped to keep my machine running smoothly.

I am surely not alone in saying thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm - just got to say a big thank you for your knowledge so freely given on this forum. You put a lot of time and effort into helping others - much appreciated.

I have learnt a huge amount of info from you, and from other contributors here. Some of it is just stored away for the future, but a lot of it has been preventive medicine, which has helped to keep my machine running smoothly.

I am surely not alone in saying thanks.
Thank you and that is very kind of you :D:D

Ingar-Norway

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200K 2001
Hello Malcolm - Norway calling! May I also have the paper describing how to adjust the SLK roof as described here:
"I had a problem today with an SLK roof. Customer found roof sticking at the front while trying to open, but a thump over the manual release cover above the rear view mirror would get it moving. Accessed the mechanism by removing three screws each side holding headliner side trims and three screws in the front shut area that hold the headliner. Both front latches were working correctly, but there is a cable attached to each latch that operates a further latch at the side, above the tiny rear 1/4 window. These cables have an adjuster each at the front section, and a small adjustment of each was all that was necessary to rectify the fault."
Lots of thanks! Copys can be sendt to my e-mail: ingar.andreassen@nrk.no
Ingar - SLK 200K 2001

Justosoho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk230
Problems with a roof on my SLK

Hello Malcolm,
I have the same problem as others with my roof. My roof seems to be sticking most of the time when trying to stow it in the boot. Windows go down, boot goes up but roof is stuck to the windscreen.

I would like to rectify this problem myself, would you be as so kind as to email me your papers on adjustment?

Justo_soho@hotmail.com

Many thanks Malcolm.....

Justosoho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk230
Hello there.

I have the same problem with my SLK roof (when trying to open roof, it sticks at the front windscreen).

Can someone send me those papers (instructiopns) on how to adjust cables on hach releasing mechanism to Justo_soho@hotmail.com

Many thanks

Justo

PurpleClare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/1998/230
SLK Roof Problem

Hi,

I am new to this forum, I wonder if you would be kind enough to advise. I have owned an SLK 230 '98 for just over a year now and had ongoing issues with my roof.

The first was that it kept stopping half way open, so I had to release the switch and try again it would then continue. It since got more troublesome and I had to get out of the car and give the boot lid a nudge then it would complete the cycle (still does this occasionally). A few months later I noticed that the parcel shelf had been rubbing slightly on the front edge of the roof (where it joins top of windscreen). Then the side flap on the parcel shelf cable snapped which was replaced by the lovely Chris (Independent Mercedes - Princes Risborough). Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. This side flap still often gets stuck behind the hoop (behind headrest) so either myself or my husband need to be ready to push it down into place as the roof goes up/down and the parcel shelf is still rubbing. Chris thought it may be that something is bent slightly which isn't lifting the roof high enough over the parcel shelf.

If anyone can offer any advice or a solution. Please let me know, it would be appreciated (or if all else fails if you would like to buy my car and don't mind that it has this issue! I can then buy another one)

If it would be helpful perhaps I could post a video of the roof in action?

Thanks in advance!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Hi,

I am new to this forum, I wonder if you would be kind enough to advise. I have owned an SLK 230 '98 for just over a year now and had ongoing issues with my roof.

The first was that it kept stopping half way open, so I had to release the switch and try again it would then continue. It since got more troublesome and I had to get out of the car and give the boot lid a nudge then it would complete the cycle (still does this occasionally). A few months later I noticed that the parcel shelf had been rubbing slightly on the front edge of the roof (where it joins top of windscreen). Then the side flap on the parcel shelf cable snapped which was replaced by the lovely Chris (Independent Mercedes - Princes Risborough). Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. This side flap still often gets stuck behind the hoop (behind headrest) so either myself or my husband need to be ready to push it down into place as the roof goes up/down and the parcel shelf is still rubbing. Chris thought it may be that something is bent slightly which isn't lifting the roof high enough over the parcel shelf.

If anyone can offer any advice or a solution. Please let me know, it would be appreciated (or if all else fails if you would like to buy my car and don't mind that it has this issue! I can then buy another one)

If it would be helpful perhaps I could post a video of the roof in action?

Thanks in advance!

I think a link to a video would be most helpful - it can be hard to visualise these things.

PurpleClare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/1998/230
Sorry still haven't done the video :Oops:

We had a real good look at it over the weekend and actually got it working beautifully. On the flaps on the sides of the parcel shelf there is a tiny S hook that holds the cable onto the little flap, this had stretched so my husband bent it back into shape with some nose pliers. He also put some pressure on the parcel shelf itself and bent it slightly away from where the roof passes over the parcel shelf and was touching as the roof folds into the boot.

All seemed to be working great until yesterday when I went to put my roof down to enjoy the glorious sunshine, I heard a loud ping! The S hook had come off completely and the roof was touching the parcel shelf again!

My husband found the S hook and put it back on after re-shaping again - but it is obvious that this will keep happening, so if if anyone has any ideas in the mean time would be grateful to hear from you. :confused:

C

Calico

Hi joined after searching google and this thread was top of the list if there is any chance of the magic how to guide that would be brilliant i have a short cable that is new and came with the car guessing it's the one above rear 1/4 light panel. Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance r.bowles.11@virginmedia.com .

Mercedes-Baz

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK200 R170
Roof

I've just bought a 2001 SLK200 R170 with this exact problem, any chance of those photos? & will I be able to do it with a standard household tool kit?
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need to know what is wrong or what the roof is or is not doing

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Might help someone out, I had a problem today with an SLK roof. Customer found roof sticking at the front while trying to open, but a thump over the manual release cover above the rear view mirror would get it moving. Accessed the mechanism by removing three screws each side holding headliner side trims and three screws in the front shut area that hold the headliner. Both front latches were working correctly, but there is a cable attached to each latch that operates a further latch at the side, above the tiny rear 1/4 window. These cables have an adjuster each at the front section, and a small adjustment of each was all that was necessary to rectify the fault. If demand exists I could take some pictures...

What year and colour was it??

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom