W202 220 cdi '99 Differential

Pzd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s202 220 cdi '99
Hi,

Is it possible to change the differential in order to get more top speed and lower the fuel consumption?

If so, which one can I install?

Regards

Pouzada

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You would never get your money back, and the speedo would read wrong, and the gearing would be a little out on the optimum gear change points

OP
P

Pzd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s202 220 cdi '99
Ok, I see. Then there is no other way to lower the revs?

Pouzada

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
You could see if an ECU re-map/ tuning box could help.

popuptoaster

Reaction score
taller tyres or bigger rims and tyres with a bigger overall diameter would do it, still put the speedo out though and no gauranty the MPG would come down if the engine has to work harder to accelerate the car with higher gearing.

Cosworth

Reaction score
you must have the same ratio diff assigned to the car, otherwise your car will not move at all.

popuptoaster

Reaction score
you must have the same ratio diff assigned to the car, otherwise your car will not move at all.

nah, not true, i swop em around all the time in various projects, you need to match them carefully to other things if you want a decent result though, but lower gearing wont always increase acceleration (can produce more wheelspin) and a higher ratio wont always give higher top speed if the engine is not powerfull enough to overcome drag.

When i first had my 200bhp Cortina on the road it was on the standard rear diff, it span the wheels in first and second really easy but went like a bat out of hell from about 50mph up to 110, and then hit the rev limiter at 130, fitted a higher ratio diff and it calmed it down a bit, made it faster off the line and pushed its top end up to 140ish.

As with a lot of mods, its not always simple to get a nice useable car unless you change more than one item.

OP
P

Pzd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s202 220 cdi '99
Hi, thanks for the opinions. I think that this engine has torque enough for a higher relation diff. Nowadays cars have 6 speed gbox with same torque value. When revving at 3000 rpm 6 speed diesel cars go aprox 170 km/h and reach more than 230 km/h. Mine stops at about 210 km/h.

I was wandering if w210 270 cdi autobox has the same relation output and which diff?

regards

Pouzada

Cosworth

Reaction score
nah, not true, i swop em around all the time in various projects, you need to match them carefully to other things if you want a decent result though, but lower gearing wont always increase acceleration (can produce more wheelspin) and a higher ratio wont always give higher top speed if the engine is not powerfull enough to overcome drag.

When i first had my 200bhp Cortina on the road it was on the standard rear diff, it span the wheels in first and second really easy but went like a bat out of hell from about 50mph up to 110, and then hit the rev limiter at 130, fitted a higher ratio diff and it calmed it down a bit, made it faster off the line and pushed its top end up to 140ish.

As with a lot of mods, its not always simple to get a nice useable car unless you change more than one item.

This is true only on the w210 and newer. This does not affect old cars. There is a thread somewhere on the forum where the guy changed his diff on the w210 and then it would not move. When he got the same ratio diff his car was back to normal

have a look at this thread http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35014

Last edited:
OP
P

Pzd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s202 220 cdi '99
This is true only on the w210 and newer. This does not affect old cars. There is a thread somewhere on the forum where the guy changed his diff on the w210 and then it would not move. When he got the same ratio diff his car was back to normal

have a look at this thread http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35014

I've just looked at the post and unfortunately I believe in what is said there.

Thanks anyway.

Pouzada

popuptoaster

Reaction score
Ok, i stand corrected, seems a bit weird though as i'm not sure how the car knows the ratio has changed without even moving, i have friends who modify modern cars, i'll see if its been an issue on any other manufacturers cars they've played around with, if its to do with the diff ratio then surely it would cause the same problem fitting non standard wheels and tyres if they have a different rolling radius?

Top Bottom